LINGLESTOWN. This town, which is situated at the foot of the First Mountain, about six
miles from the Susquehanna River, and about nine miles from Harrisburg, was laid out by
Thomas Lingle in 1765. It was first named St. Thomas, but this name was changed to
Linglestown shortly afterwards. It is connected to Harrisburg by fine highways and also by
the Harrisburg Railways. The community has always been most favorable to education and has
been a strong supporter of schools, the first of which in the town was opened soon
after thee settlement of the place in 1765. The township in which the little town is
situated has always been a producer of a fine class of school teachers.