[p 177 of original]
GREEN, TIMOTHY, son of Robert Green, was born about 1733, on the "Monoday," Hanover township, Lancaster, now Dauphin county, Pa.; died February 27, 1812, at Dauphin, Pa., and is buried in the old graveyard there. His father, of Scotch ancestry, came from the north of Ireland about 1725, locating near the Kittochtinny mountains on Manada creek. The first record we have of the son is subsequent to Braddock's defeat, when the frontier settlers were threatened with extermination by the marauding savages. Timothy Green assisted in organizing a company, and for at least seven years was chiefly in active service in protecting the settlers from the fury of the blood-thirsty Indians. In the Bouquet expedition he commanded a company of Provincial troops. For his services at this time, the Proprietaries granted him large tracts of land in Buffalo Valley and on Bald Eagle creek. At the outset of the Revolution, Captain Green became an earnest advocate for independence, and the Hanover resolutions of June 4, 1774, passed unaniously by the meeting of which he was chairman, show that he was intensely patriotic. He was one of the Committee of Safety of the Province, which met November 22, 1774, in Lancaster, and issued hand-bills to the import that "agreeable to the resolves and recommendations of the American Continental Congress, that the freeholders and others qualified to vote for representatives in Assembly choose, by ballot, sixty persons for a Committee of Observation, to observe the conduct of all persons toward the actions of the General Congress; the committee, when elected, to divide the country into districts and appoint members of the committee to superintend each district, and any six so appointed to be a quorum, etc." Election was held on Thursday, 15th December, 1774, and, among others, Timothy Green was elected from Hanover. This body of men were in correspondence with Joseph Reed, Charles Thompson, George Clymer, John Benezet, Samuel Meredith, Thomas Mifflin, etc., of Philadelphia, and others. They met at Lancaster again, April 27, 1775, when notice was taken of General Gage's attack upon the inhabitants of Massachusetts Bay, and a general meeting called for the 1st of May, at Lancaster. Upon the erection of he county of Dauphin, Colonel Green was the oldest justice of the peace in commission, and, under the Constitution of 1776, he was presiding justice of the courts. He continued therein until, under the Constitution of 1790, which required the presiding judge "to be learned in the law," Judge Atlee was appointed. After his retirement, Judge Green returned to his quiet farm at the mouth of Stony creek, where he had erected a mill and other improvements. He was thrice married; married, first, in 1760 Effy Finney robinson, daughter of James and Jean Finney, and widow of Thomas Robinson. She died December 28, 1765, and is buried in old Hanover church graveyard.