James M. Macqueen
MACQUEEN, James M., architect, Harrisburg, Pa., was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, September 5, 1859. He is a son of James and Eustacia Agnes (Ballantine) Macqueen, the former born at East Linton, Haddingtonshire, and the latter at East Calder, Scotland. Mr. James Macqueen still survives and resides in Edinburgh. Mrs. Macqueen died at Edinburgh in 1883.
He received his primary education in the Stockbridge free church school. He attended the Edinburgh School of Designs and the James Watt Institute (now the Watt Heriot College of Edinburgh). He then became a pupil of Alexander Rhind, a renowned sculptor, and with him learned that art, in which he was engaged for six years. He then began a course of study in architecture with James G. Fairweather, architect, which he prosecuted diligently and successfully. Later he was engaged in the engineering department of the city of Edinburgh. In 1883 he left his native land, went to the city of St. Johnís, Newfoundland, and was employed at the English Cathedral during the erection of that edifice. In the latter part of 1884 he returned to Edinburgh, spendings <sic> six months in study and travel. In 1885 he went to the Bermudas to assist in the building of a large church edifice. In April, 1886, he came to New York and after a short stay there to Hummelstown, Pa., where he was employed by the Hummelstown Brown Stone Company as draughtsman and superintendent of their stone-cutting department for two and a half years. He was afterwards manager for the Alderson Brown Stone Company, Alderson, W. Va., and for a time held a similar position at Rondout, N. Y. In May, 1892, he removed to Harrisburg, Pa., and since that date has been one of the most prominent architects in the city. Among some of the important buildings of which he is the architect may be mentioned the Hummelstown Reformed church; St. Andresís church, St. Johnís, Newfoundland; the Berean Baptist church, Reading, Pa.; the Fourth Reformed church, corner Sixteenth and Market streets, Harrisburg; a large factory at Bedford, Pa., and others.
James M. Macqueen was married in New York City, December 6, 1886, to Emma Rachel Martin, of St. Johnís, Newfoundland, daughter of the late J. P. and Elizabeth Holmes (Hudson) Martin. They have had four children: Emma Elizabeth Eustatia, born August 7, 1889; James Ronald, born April 9, 1892; Mary Virginia, born August 2, 1893; Margaret Elmira, born September 1, 1895.
Mr. Macqueen is a member of the Lodge of Journeymen Masons, No. 8, Edinburgh, Scotland, of which he is a mark master, also of Brownstone Castle, No. 456, K. G. E., of Hummelstown. He is secretary of Chapter 57, of the Brotherhood of Andrew and Philip. He is a total abstainer. He was, while in Scotland, a member of the Queen's Edinburgh rifle volunteer brigade and took a keen interest in rifle shooting, winning many valuable prizes. He was selected for the team representing his native city, for the last three years he was in Scotland, against teams representing the cities of Perth, Dundee and Glasgow, assisting to capture the valuable challenge trophy permanently for Edinburgh by winning it three times in succession. Mr. and Mrs. Macqueen are members of the Reformed church.
Pages 412 & 415
Transcribed by Marjorie Tittle email@example.com for the Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription. 30 Oct 2000 Copyright 2000 - All Rights Reserved; Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.