[p 182 in orig]
SIMPSON, MURRAY, was born about 1744, in Buckingham township, Bucks county, Pa.; died February 3, 1807, in Huntingdon, Pa. His parents, John and Mary Simpson, went South and were residing in North Carolina in 1783 and in Georgia in 1791. The son learned blacksmithing, and, in 1763, settled on the Susquehanna, in what was then Upper Paxtang township, Lancaster, now Dauphin county. On the 15th of August, 1775, he was commissioned second lieutenant of Capt. James Murray's company in the Fourth battalion of associators, of Lancaster county. On the 28th of January, 1777, Lieut. Col. Cornelius Cox, of the battalion, ordered him to remain in the "Continental smith-shop" at Bristol. He served during the greater part of the Revolution, toward its close in command of a company of militia, when he returned to his farm. In the spring of 1793 he removed to Huntingdon, where he passed the remainder of his days. He married Margaret Murray, daughter of Capt. James Murray, of the Revolution. She was born in 1756 in Paxtang township, Lancaster county, Pa., and died April 27, 1826, at Huntingdon, Pa. They were the grandparents of Hon. J. Simpson Africa.