BERGNER, George
Back Up Next

BERGNER, GEORGE, was a native of the village of Neunkirchen, a few miles distant from the free city of Bremen, in the kingdom of Hannover, where he was born on June 6, 1818. He came to America at the age of twelve years, and reaching Reading, Pa., he apprenticed himself to Engelman, a printer and a well-known almanac-maker, with whom he served his time. In 1834 he came to Harrisburg and worked as a compositor on the different German newspapers and journals. In 1838 he was sent by the executive committee of the Anti-Masonic party to Somerset, Pa., to publish a German campaign paper, and during the Harrison campaign was sent on a similar service to New Bloomfield, Perry county. In 1841 he purchased the Vaterland Waechter of his former employer, Mr. Ehrenfried. During the know-Nothing campaign of 1854 he published the American, in opposition to the tenets of that then dominant party. The following year he purchased the Telegraph, which he soon established on a successful and permanent basis. From 1857 to his death he was the publisher of the Legislative Record. In 1861 Mr. Bergner was appointed by President Lincoln postmaster at Harrisburg. He was removed by President Johnson in 1866, but upon the election of President Grant he was reappointed to the position, an office he held at the time of his death. During the Rebellion his pen and his purse were at the service of the Union, while he himself went out as a private soldier in the First Regiment, Pennsylvania militia, during the invasion of the State in 1862. Mr. Bergner’s life was an active one, and yet apart from his own business affairs and official position, much of his time was given to the public. For many years he was one of the inspectors of the Dauphin county prison, was a trustee of the State Lunatic Asylum, vice-president of the Pennsylvania Agricultural Society, bank director, ect. His business career was a very successful one. He died at Harrisburg, after a very brief illness, August 5, 1874, aged fifty-six years.

 

Dorothy Bumbaugh

Sidney, Indiana page 338