BOMBAUGH, Aaron
Back Up Next

BOMBAUGH, AARON, son of Abraham Bombaugh and Catharine Rheem, was born February 12, 1803. at Harrisburg, Pa. He was educated at the private schools of the town, and at the old academy. He was placed early in youth to the trade of a hatter with Jacob Shoemaker, of Harrisburg, and at his majority went to Philadelphia for instructions as a finisher, and while there became a member of the “Association of Journeymen Hatters,” being entered March 2, 1824. He returned to his native town and established himself in business, which he followed several years, until he was obliged to relinquish it, owing to impaired health. which had been affected by the dyes used in coloring the felt. He then assumed charge of his father’s extensive limestone quarry, conducting that business with marked success. Like his father and grandfather before him, Mr. Bombaugh took a prominent part in municipal affairs, and frequently served in the borough council. From 1838 to 1844 he served as treasurer of the county of Dauphin, a position he filled efficiently and acceptably. He was one of the first advocates for the establishment of a lunatic hospital by the State for the insane poor of the Commonwealth, and greatly aided Miss Dix in her efforts to secure State assistance for the inauguration of those noble charities which have so distinguished our Commonwealth. He was one of the first trustees of the institution located at Harrisburg. Having several farms near the city, the latter years of his life were passed in their management. He died at Harrisburg on the 13th of December, 1877, in the seventy-fifth year of his age. He was an early Abolitionist, as the anti-slavery men were denominated, a decided Anti-Mason in the days of that crusade, and with well-defined and positive convictions was ready to encounter any amount of obloquy in their defense. During the Rebellion he devoted his time and means to the care and comfort of the Pennsylvania soldiers in camp and hospital. He was the last survivor of the Unitarian Society established by the Rev. Mr. Kay, and which, from successive deaths and lack of fresh accessions, melted away many years since.

Mr. Bombaugh was twice married—first on May 3, 1827, to Maria Lloyd, daughter of Joseph Lloyd, an attorney-at-law, of Philadelphia, born there in 1809, and died January 1, 1853, at Harrisburg, and their children were Dr. Charles Carroll, a noted physician and author, now of Baltimore, Md.; Lavinia, married Gillard Dock, of Harrisburg; Alexander, d.s.p.; Catharine, married Junius B. Kaufinan, a lawyer, of Lancaster, Pa.; and Julia, married Dr. Grafton, of Baltimore. Of these only Dr. C. C. Bombaugh and Mrs. Kaufman are living. Mr. Bombaugh married, secondly, Julia Duncan, of Duncan’s Island, who survived him.