BUEHLER, George
Back Up Next

BUEHLER, GEORGE, the son of Henry Buehler, a soldier of the Revolution, and Jane Trotter, was born near the town of Lebanon, Pa., in July, 1776. His parents were Moravians; they lie buried in Mount Hebron burying ground, and were life-long members of the old Hebron church. George received a good English and German education at the celebrated Moravian school at Lititz, and was subsequently brought up to mercantile pursuits. He was commissioned by Governor Mifflin justice of the peace for Lebanon township December 3, 1799. The year following, under the auspices of the Harrisburg and Presqu' Isle Land Company, he removed to Erie, and was appointed in August, 1801, by President Jefferson, collector of the Eighteenth Collection District of Pennsylvania. Mr. Buehler took a prominent part in the affairs connected with the early organization of Erie county. At his residence, on the 2d of April, 1803, that county was organized for judicial purposes. He was a member of the first council of the town of Erie in 1806, and in 1808 and 1809 was borough burgess. He was one of the first to aid in developing the Lake Erie trade, foreseeing at that early day the advantages of that magnificent port of the lakes. In 1811-12 he was a member of the Erie Light Infantry, Captain Forster, which was in active service during a portion of that period. In 1812, owing probably to the war troubles on the frontier, he came to Harrisburg and took charge of the "Golden Eagle." He died at Harrisburg on the 5th of August, 1816, aged forty years. Mr. Buehler married previous to removing to Erie, Maria, daughter of Peter Nagle, of Reading. She was born December 25, 1779, and died at Harrisburg July 27, 1843; a lady of great amiability of character. Mr. Buehler was a man of sterling integrity, and his brief life was one of activity, enterprise and industry. At Erie he stood high in the esteem of its citizens, and at Harrisburg his appreciation was none the less.