EGLE, W. H.
Back Up Next

EGLE, WILLIAM HENRY, was born September 17, 1830, in Harrisburg, Pa., and the fifth in the line of descent from the original emigrant, Marcus Egle. His ancestors settled in Pennsylvania prior to 1740, coming on the one side from Canton of Zurich, Switzerland, and on the other from Palatinate, Germany. A great-great-grandfather served as an officer in the French and Indian wars; his paternal grand and great-grandfathers served in the war of the Revolution, while his maternal grandfather served in the war of 1812-14. His parents were John Egle and Elizabeth von Treupel, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father dying when the son was four years of age, the latter made his home with his paternal grandmother. He was educated in the public and private schools of Harrisburg, and at the Harrisburg Military Institute, under the famed Capt. Alden Partridge. In 1848 he was tendered the appointment of midshipman in the United States navy, but declined the honor. At the close of his school life he spent three years in the office of the Pennsylvania Telegraph, during most of which time he was foreman of the establishment, subsequently having charge of the State printing, which was done in the office. In 1853 he undertook the editorship of the Literary Companion as well as the Daily Times; the latter afterwards merged into one of the newspaper ventures of Harrisburg. In 1854 and the following year he was an assistant teacher in the boys’ school, and part of the time mailing clerk in the postoffice, which latter position he held until the fall of 1857, when he resigned to enter the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, fom which institution he was graduated in March, 1859. The same year he established himself at Harrisburg, and was in the practice of his profession there, when, in 1862, aftr the battles of Chantilly and the second Bull Run, he went to Washington in response to a telegram from Adjutant General Russell, of Pennsylvania, to assist in the care of the wounded. In September of that year he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Ninety-sixth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, and arrived at his post on the eve of the battle of Antietam. During the progress of that battle, he was ordered to the field hospital for duty, where he remained several days. In the summer of 1863, during the Gettysburg campaign, he was appointed surgeon of the forty-seventh regiment, Pennsylvania volunteer militia. At the close of service , with the latter command, he resumed his profession, but, in August, 1864, accepted the appointment by President Lincoln of surgeon of volunteers, and was ordered to Camp Nelson, Ky.,to examine the colored regiments then being raised in that State. He was subsequently detailed with the battalion under Col. James S. Brisbin and Col. James F. Wade in the famous attempt by Gen. Burbridge to destroy the salt works in Southwestern Virginia.