GREEN, Innis
Back Up Next

GREEN, INNIS, the eldest son of Col. Timothy Green and Mary Innis, was born in Hanover township, Dauphin county, Pa., March 25, 1776. His early years were spent on his father's farm, but he received a tolerably fair English education, an essential in the Scotch-Irish settlements. His father, who built a mill at the mouth of Stony creek about 1790, dying in 1812, Innis took charge of it. He was appointed one of the associate judges of Dauphin county by Governor Findlay, August 10, 1818, resigning October 23, 1827, having been elected to the National House of Representatives. He served during the Twentieth and Twenty-first Congresses. Governor Wolf, January 26, 1832, re-appointed him associate judge, a position he held at the time of his death, which occurred on the 4th of August, 1839. His remains lie interred in the cemetery at Dauphin. Judge Green laid out the town (which for many years went by the names of Port Lyon and Greensburg) about the year 1826. He married, in 1804, Rebecca Murray, daughter of Col. John Murray, of the Revolution.