HAMILTON, ADAM BOYD, was born in Harrisburg, September 18, 1808, son of Hugh Hamilton, who was a son of Capt. John Hamilton and of Rosanna Boyd, only child of Adam Boyd. Both these ancestors were purchasers of property in 1785, both erected substantial brick mansions, and both died and are buried in Harrisburg. The subject of this notice received his first school training under Misses Graham and Smith, at Second and Mulberry streets, Charles Still, Maginnes, Birkman, Hamilton, Tod, Davies. Most of his time was devoted to picking up the trade of printer in his fatherís establishment, the Harrisburg Chronicle. At this early period two late chief justices of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Messrs. Lewis and Thompson, were employed there, as well as many other gentlemen who rose to social and political positions. Having been carefully trained as a printer, after leaving the Harrisburg Academy he was appointed to a position in the engineer corps of the Juniata division of the State works, under DeWitt Clinton, Jr., as chief. The partner of his father having died, he returned to Harrisburg and became partner in the Chronicle where he continued until that paper was disposed of to otehr parties. He was chosen, when scarcely of voting age, one of the printers to the Legislature. After spending a couple of years in an unsuccessful business venture in the South, he returned to Harrisburg, and shortly after appointed to a position at Washington City; resigned, taking control of the Pennsylvania Reporter, at Harrisburg; after a year or two was unanimously chosen assistant clerk of the Senate, resigning that, and becoming joint partner in the Pennsylvanian at Philadelphia with Mifflin, Parry, Joseph Neal, J. W. Forney and S. D. Patterson. When that venture closed, became, under the contract law, printer to both houses of Congress, and as the repeal of that law, which carried his contract with it, came to Pennsylvania. Again became printer to the State until 1861, , when he retired from that business and became an agriculturist. He has held many municipal offices--a school director for twelve years; president of the select council, and one of the commissioners of 1860, and of a subsequent one in 1870, to make a plot of the city of Harrisburg; president of the Pennsylvania State Agriculturial Society, the Dauphin County Society; at present a trustee of the Harrisburg Academy, secretary of the board of managers of the Harrisburg Hospital from the first meeting on the subject in 1872, president of the board of trustees of Derry Presbyterian church, and the only president the Dauphin County Historical Society has had since its formation.