HOYER, B. FRANKLIN,
was born in Hogestown, Cumberland county, Pa.,
September 14, 1823.
He was educated in subscription schools; he came to Harrisburg in 1834,
and attended the private schools of William Mitchell and Samuel Cross.
In 1839 he went to Clearspring, Washington county, Md., and learned the
In 1841 he married Miss Margaret Ann
Kershner, of Clearspring, Md., daughter of Elias Kershner.
He worked at his trade in Clearspring and in Hagerstown for seven years.
In 1847 he returned to Dauphin county, and located at Lock No. 9, where
he resided for sixteen years, attending lock in the summer, and working at his
trade in the winter. He then removed his family to Newmarket, York county, Pa.,
and established himself in business in New Cumberland, Cumberland county, Pa.;
in 1860 he removed his family to that place.
In 1862 he enlisted in company H, One
Hundred and Thirtieth
volunteers, as private, and was promoted to corporal of his company. Mr. Hoyer served nine months, and was disabled at the battle
of Antietam; he took part in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Salem and
Chancellorsville. He was honorably
discharged from the army, and afterwards employed for eighteen years by the
Northern Central Railroad Company as watchman at the Yellow Breeches Creek
bridge. In 1887 he removed to
Harrisburg, where he has since lived retired from active business.
His first wife died April 23, 1882.
They had four sons and two
George, of the firm of Hoyer & Milnor, of Harrisburg, John, of
Steelton, Charles, of Bridgeport, Pa., Frank, Jr., of New Cumberland, Mary E.
(Mrs. David R. Hoffman), of Steelton, Kate A. (Mrs. H. D. Eisenberger), of New
In 1883 he married his second wife,
Mrs. Salome Snyder, daughter of John Shock, of Harrisburg.