ORR, JOHN G., was born at Willow Grove Mills, Southampton township, Franklin county, Pa. The year in which he was born his parents made their home in Orrstown, a town founded by his father, William Orr, and by his brother, John Orr, where he resided until 1865. He received his education in the public schools of that place, and his business habits and training from his father on the farm where his earlier years were passed. He was a general clerk in one of the stores of the village, and in that occupation he continued until he removed to Carlisle, Cumberland county, to accept a position in the First National Bank of that place. In 1874 he returned to his early home, and in April of the following year he engaged in merchandising until 1879, when, under the firm name of John G. & D.A. Orr, he became one of the editors and proprietors of the Valley Spirit and removed to Chambersburg. He is one of the founders of the Children’s Aid Society of Franklin county, and by his active and earnest support has added greatly to its success. For a number of years he was the secretary, and is now the president of the society. The founding of a hospital by the society in Chambersburg, which is doing good work for the suffering, is the result of his efforts to that end. For several years Mr. Orr was a ruling elder in the Presbyterian church at Middle Springs, and has twice represented the Presbytery of Carlisle in the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. In September, 1885, he was chosen a ruling elder in the Falling Spring Presbyterian church, of Chambersburg. In 1891 he became interested in The Patriot, of Harrisburg, and gives his personal attention to the business of that influential paper. Mr. Orr was married, in 1871, to Miss Martha M. Hays, of Middle Spring, Franklin county, Pa.
Sidney, Indiana page 347