OTT, Leander
Back Up Next

OTT, Leander N., was born February 11, 1814, in Harrisburg.  His

grandfather, John Nicholas Ott, came to Pennsylvania prior to the war of the Revolution.  During the struggle for independence he was in active service. After the town of Harrisburg was laid out he removed there and entered into business.  He at one time kept the ferry.  His son John Nicholas married, August 13, 1805, Margaret Kissecker, of Cumberland county.  Nicholas Ott, the younger, died suddenly November 5, 1832, near Womelsdorf where he was buried, but subsequently was disinterred and brought to Harrisburg.  His age was fifty years.  His wife Margaret died April 1823, aged thirty-six years. Leander N. Ott was the third child of his parents, and was left an orphan at a very early age.  He received an ordinary school education up to the time

of his father's death, when he learned the trade of saddlery.  He, however, took a partial course at Jefferson College, beginning in the spring of 1834, where he remained two years, devoting his time chiefly to mathematical studies.  In 1837 Mr. Ott entered the service of the State, in the engineer corps under General DeHaas, and was employed in the survey from Lewistown to Pittsburgh, over the Allegheny mountains, made with a view of avoiding the inclined planes at Hollidaysburg, the then terminus to the eastern division of the Pennsylvania canal, and connecting with the internal improvements on the western side of the mountain.  He was also employed upon a similar survey from Philadelphia to Downingtown and along the Brandywine under John T. Bailey, chief engineer.  Under him he was engaged on the Wiconisco canal, and other public works, until the beginning of Governor Porter's administration, when he resigned.  Mr. Ott completed the study of the law which he had been pursuing for some time under William McClure, Esq., of Harrisburg, and was admitted to the bar of Dauphin county April 27, 1840. In 1846 he was compelled to leave the practice of the law for an occupation which would give him more out-of-door exercise.  He then entered the

saw-mill business at Harrisburg with his brother-in-law, Capt. Jacob Dock. They were chiefly engaged in manufacturing ship building lumber for the Philadelphia and New York markets; and when in 1850 it was found advisable to confine their business to the Delaware, he removed to Camden, N. J., where it was carried on until the latter part of 1859.  In 1860 Mr. Ott returned to Harrisburg, in 1861 purchasing his present residence, situated in Susquehanna township.  For sometime during the early portion of the war he was connected with the military department, and did good service for his country.  From that period until the present time Colonel Ott has devoted most of his attention to farming.  Country life has proved of great benefit to him, and, although in his eighty-third year, he frequently enjoys horseback exercise.  Mr. Ott married Caroline Heisely, daughter of the late

George J. Heisely, of Harrisburg.  Of their children, the representative member of the family is Capt. Frederick M. Ott, a prominent lawyer of the Dauphin county bar.