PEACOCK, JAMES, the eldest son of William Peacock and Mary McArthur, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, was born in Paxtang township, Dauphin county, Pa., April 8, 1788. His education was in a great measure due to his motherís care and tuition, with self-application in after years. At the age of fifteen he began to learn the printing business with Mr. Edward Cole, of Lewistown, where he remained until 1807, when he went to Lancaster to work on the Intelligencer. In 1809 he was employed by the celebrated John Binns of Philadelphia, on book work and subsequently by Mr. Dinnie on the Port Folio. While in the latter establishment he became intimate with quite a number of the literati of that period, and concerning whom he has left some, interesting "Reminisences." In 1811 Mr. Peacock returned to Lancaster, and from thence came to Harrisburg, where, in December of that year, he started the Pennsylvania Republican, which he continued to publish for about eight or nine years. In the meantime being one of the printers to the Senate and House. In December, 1821, he was employed as an assistant clerk of the Senate, and in March, 1822, received the appointment of Postmaster of Harrisburg in place of Mrs. Wright, who has recently deceased, an office he held under different national administrations until the 15th of November, 1846. In December, 1847, he removed to Philadelphia, where he became identified with the publication of the Evening Bulletin, The Sun and Nealís Saturday Gazette, which he managed with all the tact and skill of his early years, relinquishing his labors only a brief time prior to his death. He died in the city of Philadelphia on the 23rd of August, 1863, and is interred in the Harrisburg cemetery. Mr.Peacock was twice married--first to Frances C., daughter of Matthias Slough and Mary Gibson, of Lancaster, who died October 27, 1837; and secondly, to Mrs. Louisa V. Sims, of Mount Holly, N.J., who died in 1869. Mr. Peacock was ever held in high esteem by the citizens of Harrisburg, whether as journalist, or his occupancy of the postoffice for a quarter of a century. He always took an active part in public affairs, and was largely instrumental in organizing St. Stephenís Episcopal church, in which there has been erected a tablet to his memory. He was a gentleman of dignified manners, of refined culture, and a sincere christian.
Dorothy Bumbaugh page 334