RINGLAND, JOHN, was born January 9, 1825, in Middletown, Pa., where he now resides. He was educated in the common schools in Middletown. At the age of fifteen he entered the Examiner and Herald office at Lancaster to learn the art of printing, with R. White Middleton, who afterwards sold the office and removed to Carlisle, where he purchased the Carlisle Hearld, John accompanying him, as also back again to Lancaster, when he sold out the Herald, and purchased the Lancaster Union. Here he remained until 1845. In 1846 Mr. Ringland commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Benjamin J. Wiestling, of Middletown, and graduated from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in 1850. He located at Portsmouth, now Middletown, where he entered upon the practice of medicine; but was subsequently compelled to relinquish it, owing to impaired hearing. In the fall of 1852 he engaged in the lumber business at New Cumberland, in which he continued until the spring of 1855, when he returned to Middletown, and established himself in the drug business. In 1860 he was elected recorder of deeds and clerk of the orphans’ court of Dauphin county, and re-elected in 1863. While in Portsmouth, in 1850, a postoffice was established there, and Dr. Ringland appointed postmaster. He has served as justice of the peace, was census enumerator in 1870, and filled various borough offices. Dr. Ringland married, in 1850, Margaret E. Smith, daughter of Henry Smith, of Middletown.
Sidney, Indiana page 338