SHEAFER, Michael
Back Up Next

SHEAFER, MICHAEL, son of George Sheafer, was born December 1, 1803, at Halifax, Dauphin county, Pa. For some years he resided in Harrisburg, Pa., and when quite a young man he married Susan Cloud, of Lancaster county, and made his home in that county a few years. They had issue: Adaline, married Rev. C. A. Wyeth; Henry J.; John M., a civil engineer, who died at Selma, Alabama, August 11, 1871; Mary L., married Theodore D. Irish; Harriet Matilda, married Joseph Davidson; Lucetta, died June 9, 1837; Anne Eliza, married John Thompson; George T., died November 4, 1867, at Ashland; and Benjamin Ingersoll. In 1831-32 the Lykens Valley Coal Company was organized, and commenced operations at what was then called “Bear Gap” (now Wiconisco). The company built a large log frame house, and Michael Sheafer moved into it for the purpose of boarding the workmen and entertaining the members of the company. At that time the Upper End (now Lykens, Wiconisco and Williamstown) was one vast wilderness, with a few log huts scattered around. He resided in this place up to the date of his death, November 30, 1849, taking an active part in the development of the coal region. He was one of the contractors in the building of the Lykens Valley railroad, also in the building of the aqueduct and other improvements at the mouth of the Wiconisco canal feeder. After the first railroad was built from the Gap to Millersburg, he had the contract for the delivery of the coal, floating it across the river at Mount Patrick on the Pennsylvania canal. His wife, Susan Sheafer, who was a most estimable Christian woman, died at Harrisburg Pa., on the 17th of February, 1876. The remains of both rest in Kalmia cemetery, Harrisburg, Pa.