STEELE, James
Back Up Next

STEELE, GEN. JAMES, the son of William Steele, Jr., and Abigail, daughter of Francis Baily, was born in Sadsbury township, Lancaster county, PA., in 1763. He received a good classical education. He represented Chester county in the Pennsylvania legislative sessions of 1809 and 1810, served in the war of 1812-14 in the capacity of colonel, and for meritorious conduct promoted to inspector general of the State troops with the rank of brigadier. He was an enterprising business man, and prior to the war erected a paper mill on the east side of the Octoraro, and in 1818 a cotton mill in the same neighborhood. General Steele removed to Harrisburg in 1839, dying there September 29, 1845, and was the first person interred in the Harrisburg cemetery. His integrity and zeal, whether as officer or private individual, made him universally beloved and respected. He was a Presbyterian, but his wife and some of his family were Methodists. His son, Franklin B. Steele, was appointed military storekeeper at the Falls of St. Anthony in 1837, and from that period was closely identified with the history and interests of the Upper Mississippi. He died September 10, 1880. General Steeleís wife was Miss Humes, of Lancaster county. After her husbandís death she removed to St. Paul, where she died and is buried. Their children were: Frank, who married a Miss Barney, of Baltimore, a granddaughter of Commodore Barney; Sarah, married Governor Sibley, of Minnesota: Rachel, married General Johnson, of St. Paul; John, a physician of prominence, married Miss McClung, of Lancaster county, Pa.; Mary, unmarried, and Abby, married Dr. Potts.