WYETH, FRANCIS, was born April 15, 1806, at Harrisburg, Pa., and died there July 2, 1893. He was educated at the Harrisburg Academy, and learned the art of printing in his fatherís office, subsequently entering Jefferson College, Canonsburg, from which institution he graduated in November, 1827. On his return home his father, who had conducted the Oracle of Dauphin thirty-five years, transferred that paper to his son, which he edited and published several years. He also entered into the business of bookseller and publisher. At the time Mr. Wyeth took charge of the Oracle the Whig party had just come into existence, of whose principles and policy he was an enthusiastic supporter. Becoming, however, tired of an editorís life, he sold out the newspaper establishment about 1831, continuing his other business until about 1859, when he disposed of that. In April, 1861, at the outbreak of the Rebellion, he was placed in charge of the quartermasterís department at Camp Curtin, where he continued until the General Government assumed control over all the military organizations of the State. On the 20th of July, 1862, Governoe Curtin appointed him one of the commissioners from Pennsylvania to visit all the hospitals in the Army of the Potomac, in the interest of the volunteer soldiers of the State, who were sick or wounded, and , as the commission reads, "to supply the wants of the suffering and needy as far as lies in your power, without infringing on any of the regulations or rights of the army, and assure each and all that their condition awakens the liveliest interest and sympathy of the people and Governor of Pennsylvania." Returning home, he reported the sondition of the wounded soldiers with this recommendation, that where it is possible "those from Pennsylvania be transferred to hospitals in their own State, that they might be near to their friends and acquaintances." This was, subsequently, carried out during during the continuance of the war. On November 28, 1863, he was again directed to visit the various hospitals. For a long term of years he was one of the trustees of the Harrisburg Academy, and president of the same. Mr. Wyeth was twice married; married, first, May 29, 1829, Susan Huston Maxwell, died December 24, 1841, daughter of William and Ann Maxwell of Franklin county, Pa,, and left three sons. Mr. Wyeth married, secondly, Sarah C. Carson, who survives, daughter of Charles Carson, of Harrisburg, Pa.; and left one son.
Sidney, Indiana page 336-337