ZIMMERMAN, Henry
Back Up Next

ZIMMERMAN, HENRY, son of Peter and Mary (Beane) Zimmerman, was born December 30, 1786, in Cumberland county, Pa. His boyhood days were passed among the scenes of farm life, familiar to the majority of farmer sons during that early period. Schools were then very little known of and less attended. The subject of this sketch is said to have spent only three months in all in what was then known as "pay school" or "select school." Upon reaching manhood he married Miss Barbara Griner, daughter of Philip and Barbara (Fishburn) Griner, who then resided on what is now known as the Newton Gray farm, in Lower Swatara township, Dauphin county, Pa. Shortly after the marriage he moved near the home of his wife's parents, in Dauphin county, and settled upon a forty acre tract, adjoining that of her parents; which was given to her as her patrimony. He learned the trade of wagon making and pursued this business together with the farming of this small tract, and while living here there were born to them the following children: Rebecca, July 8. 1810; Catherine, October 13, 1811; Philip, November 22, 1812; Elizabeth, September 14, 1814; Henry, May 16, 1816; George, February 11, 1819; Simon, January 8, 1821; Isaac, March 20, 1823; Mary, September 7, 1824. On June 10, 1824, he purchased the farm known as the Kerr estate, adjoining this forty acre tract, and moved thereon with his family in the spring of 1825, and lived in the historic Old Spring House, still standing at the "fork" of two creeks. While living here there were born to them the following children: Solomon, October 7, 1827: Valentine, May 19, 1829; and Maria, January 19, 1831. Here he established himself permanently and laid the foundation of the estate that has remained in the Zimmerman line of descent for nearly a century. He was one of the sturdy Jacksonian Democrats of that day, and was a highly esteemed citizen in the community. He died March 12, 1839, and lies buried beside the remains of his wife in the old graveyard on what is now called the Newton Gray farm.