ALLEMAN, John Sylvanus, attorney-at-law, son of Samuel and Ann Elizabeth (Holman) Alleman, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., May 22, 1855. He is a descendant of distinguished paternal, as well as maternal, German ancestry..
His great-great grandfather, John Christian Alleman, came to America with two brothers, Hiram (or Herman) and John Friederich Christian, from Hamburg, on the ship Leathey, Capt John Lickley, and took the oath of allegiance to the then government, on September 19, 1753. He settled in what was then Swatara Twp, Lancaster county, Pa., and died July 4th, 1790. His tombstone is still to be seen in the Lutheran churchyard in Middletown, Pa.
His son John Alleman, great grandfather of John S., was a distinguished Revolutionary soldier, in the company of Capt. Joseph Sherer, Fourth battalion, of Lancaster county, commanded by Col. James Burd, and in the New Jersey campaign of the spring and summer of 1776 frequently met the British, particularly in a severe cavalry charge at Amboy. After the independence of the United States had been secured, he settled down to the peace and quiet of agricultural pursuits, on a farm located about three miles east of Middletown, having for his neighbors the Crouches, Eshenours and Jordans. He acquired prominence and influence among these sturdy early settlers, and at his decease left an estate valued at nearly $20,000, which, in those times , was no insignificant sum. He was also possessed of lands in Ohio, receiving a patent for the same from President James Madison. He was married to Barbara Eshenour, and died, October 16, 1811, leaving a numerous family, among whom was his son, John Alleman, a farmer, born October 22, 1793, and who died in 1865. The latter was married, July 16, 1816, to Elizabeth Mockert.
From this marriage sprung Samuel Alleman, father od John S., was born February 1, 1818, and who, by close application and assiduous industry, earned for himself a liberal education at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg. He was admitted to the practice of law at the bar of Dauphin co, August 19, 1845; to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, June 22, 1848; was deputy secretary of the Commonwealth under Gov. Francis Shunk; moved in 1856 with his family to Snyder county, then newly organized; was superintendent of public schools there in 1862; elected member of the Legislature in 1864-65; was collector of internal revenue of the Fourteenth district; and after enjoying the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens for many long years, his life-work ended by his death, February 28, 1881.
On May 18, 1846, he married Ann Elizabeth Holman, whose ancestry in America dates back to very dawn of the eighteenth century, when we find them embarking for the New World from Amsterdam. She was the oldest child of Samuel Holman, architect and builder, of Harrisburg, Pa., and who was a soldier in the war of 1812, in Capt. Thomas Walkerís company, First Regiment, First Brigade, Pennsylvania, militia, under command of Col. Maxwell Kennedy, and who, when Harrisburg was threatened in the perilous times of 1863, marched out with the "Old Defenders" for the protection of his home and family. His son, William S. Holman, was in the service of the Federal Government on board the "Monitor", when she foundered off Cape Hatteras, but escaped with the rest of the crew to the "Ironsides".
John S. Alleman, then but an infant, was taken to Middleburg, the county seat of Snyder county, spending his boyhood days there, until February, 1865, when his father removed to Selinís Grove, and purchased the old Governor Snyder stone mansion, built about 1817. There he received his primary education at the Missionary Institute, preparing himself for Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg, which he entered in the fall of1872, and from which he graduated with honor in the class of í76, of which he was the class historian, and received the degree of B.A. Three years later the same institute conferred upon him the degree of M.A.
In the Autumn of 1876he began reading law in the offices of his father, and in the fall of 1877 entered the law department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, having as his preceptor the late E. Spencer Miller. He was graduated with the class of 1879, receiving the degree of LL. B.; was admitted to the bar of Philadelphia, June 14, 1879; to the bar of Dauphin county, August 27, 1879; and to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, June 2, 1890.
By strict integrity, and manly independence, he has built up an extensive practice, frequently filling positions of great trust. He began practice without financial assistance, but by frugality and industry has risen to a prominent position in his chosen profession and in the community. He has avoided politics.
October 11, 1882, he was married to Cordelia I. Domer, daughter of Rev. Samuel Domer, D.D., of Washington, D.C. Mrs. Alleman was born at Selinís Grove, and to them have been born two sons: Coleridge Domer, born October 9, 1883, died February 5, 1894; and Harold Roscoe, born May 3, 1888.
Mr. Alleman is a staunch Republican in politics, casting his first vote for President Rutherford B.Hayes. The family are members of the Fourth Street Lutheran Church, to which his paternal ancestors belonged at itís foundation, in 1785; and has represented his church at various synodical conventions, and being sent as a lay delegate from the East Pennsylvania Synod to the General Synod of the Lutheran Church, held at Hagerstown, Md., June 5, 1895.