BELL, GEORGE H., was born in Harrisburg, July 27,1822, son of William and Elizabeth (Hutman) Bell. The father was a native of Northumberland county and moved to Bedford county, where he learned the trade of carpenter. He came to Harrisburg in 1818 and worked on the Capitol building, then being erected, assisting in the construction of the stairways of that edifice. He married the daughter of Mathias Hutman and purchased property on the corner of Second and Mulberry streets, where he lived until 1836, when he removed to Second and Chestnut streets, and spent there the remainder of his life. He abandoned carpenter work in 1824 or 1825 and engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Bell was one of the original stockholders in the Dauphin County Bank. He rendered service in the war of 1812. His death occurred in 1846, his wife surviving until 1868. He was a member of the German Reformed church and she of the Methodist Episcopal church. They reared six children. George H. secured his education in subscription schools. He entered the store with his father, and has continued in the business since that time. In politics he is an Independent Republican. He served as director of the poor of the county for three years and was a member of the first city council of Harrisburg. His marriage occurred in 1862 to Miss Mary A. Roberts, daughter of Wayne Roberts, of Boston, to whom has been born one child: Clara M. Bell. Mrs. Bell and her daughter are members of the Lutheran church.
Historical Review of Dauphin Countyrdemy@earthlink.net
for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.