BENT, Luther Stedman, son of Ebenezer and Nancy (Stedman) Bent, was born December 6, 1829, at Quincy, Norfolk county, Mass. His ancestors were early settlers at Milton, that State. Luther S. attended the public schools until the age of twelve years, afterwards working on the farm until his fifteenth year, when he went to Boston, where he served five years with the New England Glass Company, situate in East Cambridge, then one of the largest establishments of the country. From that period until the commencement of the Rebellion he was engaged in the glassware and crockery business in Boston. In May, 1861, he enlisted as a private in company H, Fourth regiment, Massachusetts volunteers, and participated in the battle of Big Bethel. Being mustered out at the end of his term of service at Boston, he re-enlisted as a private in company K of the Eighteenth regiment, Massachusetts volunteers, for three years, and served in all the grades of non-commissioned and commissioned officers to that of captain. He served through the various campaigns in which his regiment was engaged in the Army of the Potomac, and was wounded in the right hand in the second battle of Bull Run. He remained with his command until their muster out, when he was detailed to take charge of a battalion of veterans and recruits. For meritorious services at Peebles' Farm he was promoted brevet major, was afterwards, on the recommendation of General Griffin, commissioned by President Lincoln as major in the United States army, at the same time by the State of Massachusetts a lieutenant colonel, on which commission he was never mustered. His battalion having become decimated in numbers it was consolidated with the Twenty-second Massachusetts, when at his request he was mustered out as a supernumerary officer. He returned home, and shortly after made engagements with the officers of the Union Pacific railroad, and remained in their employ from the commencement to the completion of that great enterprise, filling various positions. During the last two years he was one of the largest contractors for grading that road, comprising two hundred miles through Salt Lake Valley and the Promontory. He subsequently became engaged in cattle raising on the plains and was one of the pioneers in the business, being among the first to establish cattle ranches along the line of the railroad in Nebraska. Here he remained three years. Returning to the East he married a daughter of S. M. Felton, Esq., of Philadelphia, which relations brought him into connection with the Pennsylvania Steel Company. In 1874 lie took the superintendency of that immense establishment.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski email@example.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 24 Febrary 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.