BLACK, JOHN, of the firm of Black. & Hunter, cut stone contractors, was born in Rothesay, Buteshire, Scotland, May 6, 1863. He is a son of John Stewart and Elizabeth (McIntyre) Black. He was educated in the common schools, after which he learned the cut stone business in all its branches. He worked on some prominent buildings in Scotland, such as the municipal building of Greenock and the residence of Lord Bute.
Mr. Black emigrated to America in 1887, and resided for a time in Brooklyn, N. Y. In the same year he came to Hummelstown, Dauphin county, Pa., and was for two years employed by the Waltons. In the spring of 1889 he removed to Harrisburg, and was made foreman for the Middletown and Hummelstown Stone Company. In 1894 he formed a co-partnership with William C. Hunter, in the business of stone contracting. They buy stone in the rough and dress it to any required shape or style. This is the leading firm of the city in that line of business.
Mr. Black is also engaged in breeding fine blooded "Scotch collies." He is the owner of the "Maid of Bute," one of the finest specimens of the breed in this country. She won everything in her classes at New York and Philadelphia in 1896. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity in Scotland; of the Knights of the Mystic Chain, Lebanon Valley Castle, No. 6, and of "The Foresters." In political matters he is an independent.
Mr. Black was married at Rock Island, Ill., in 1889, to Miss Catherine Clark, of Rothesay, Scotland. Their children are: John Stewart, Thomas; Clark; and Elizabeth McIntyre. He and his family are members of the Market Square Presbyterian church, Harrisburg.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Robert Demyrdemy@earthlink.net for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 16 Feb 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.