BOWERS, GEORGE WASHINGTON, retired, was born in Halifax township, February 22, 1815; son of John and Margaret (Weaver) Bowers. His parents had nine children; Michael, John, Jacob, Martin, Adam, Joseph, George w., Elizabeth, wife of Henry Hahn, and one child who died in infancy.
George W. Bowers lost his father when he was eight years old, and went forth among strangers to find a home. He was brought up by Isaac Kinter, a farmer in Middle Paxton township, with whom he remained until he was twenty, during which time he received a limited education in the township schools. At the age of twenty he left his guardian and came to Millersburg, where he was employed by his brother Michael for about six years. After this he was engaged in various occupations until his marriage. He then returned to his brother’s employ, and was with him for three years, after which he was for some time engaged in different places and at various occupations. On August 6, 1881, Mr. Bowers met with a serious accident on the Lykens Valley railroad, from the effects of which he was so disabled as to have been disqualified, since that time, for any kind of work.
Mr. Bowers was married, at Millersburg, February 11, 1 838, to Mary, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Wingert) Miller, born November 25, 1820. They have had six children: Mary Elizabeth, born November 3, 1838, died September 19, 1842; Margaret Louisa, born September 7, 1840, died May 28, 1847; John Kinter, born April 28, 1845, died September 19, 1850; George W., Jr., twin brother of John Kinter; Sarah Ellen, born February 3, 1850; Emma Pierce, born February 21, 1853. Mrs. Bowers died March 16, 1893. Mr. Bowers is a Democrat. He has served two terms as constable in Upper Paxton township. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church.
Daniel Miller, father of Mrs. Bowers, was the founder of Millersburg. He came, with his brother John, from Lancaster county, Pa., about 1790, and took up some four hundred acres of land, including the site of the present town, where a settlement was begun probably in 1794. The town was laid out in lots in 1807. An act incorporating the borough of Millersburg was passed by the State Legislature April 8, 1850. The first settlers of this region were Huguenots. Francis Jacques, or Jacobs, as anglicized, resided some time at Halifax, but later located here, where he had taken up several acres. Among other early settlers here appear the names of Klein, Larue (Leroi), Sharra or Joerg, Wertz, Stoever, and Shuetts. Daniel Miller was the first school teacher in the vicinity, and was instrumental in establishing and building the first Methodist Episcopal church at this place. Mr. Miller had three children by his first marriage: John, Daniel, and Elizabeth. His second marriage, in 1817, was with Mary Wingert; they had one child, Mary, who became Mrs. Bowers
Transcribed by Judy Warner Bookwalter, for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription