BOWERS, JACOB, was born in Cumberland county, Pa., February 25, 1850; son of George Bowers. The father was born in Alleckendorf, France, in 1810, and was a tinner by trade. In 1834 he came to this country, and after remaining in Baltimore, Md., until 1845, settled in Cumberland county, and was engaged in farming until his death, in 1895. He was married, first, in his native country, August 28, 1831, to Miss Catherine Jacob, who died in 1862. He married for his second wife, Miss Kruger, by whom he reared five children: Catherine, deceased; Mary, widow of William Shaw; George W., living in Washington State; John Henry, living in Cumberland county, and Jacob. His second wife survives him.
Jacob received his education in the common schools of Cumberland county. When a young man he was engaged in farming, and at the age of eighteen years he learned the trade of carpenter and builder. In 1866 he went to Baltimore and worked under the instruction of his father, serving as an apprentice two years, and in this way completing his mastery of the business, after which he returned to Fairview, Cumberland county, where he remained until his marriage. He worked at his trade as a journeyman until 1879, when he engaged in contracting on his own account. In 1875 he moved from Cumberland county to Steelton, and in 1884 he built the house in which he now lives, on Meyers street. He built the North Side school house and the Maj. L. S. Bent school house. He also worked at Steelton some years as a journeyman. Mr. Bowers is a member of the Republican party, in which he takes an active part, having served as councilman for six years, during half of which period he was the president of that body. In 1873 he was married to Miss Emma L. Kutz, daughter of John Kutz, of Shiremanstown, Cumberland county, by whom he has two children: Clara M. and George H., both living at home.
Transcribed by Judy Warner Bookwalter, for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project –