BROWN, James Morrison, M.D., medical examiner of Pennsylvania Railroad Relief Department, was born n Chattanooga, Tenn., January 16, 1849. He is the son of Rev. William Beard and Mary Elizabeth (Bicknell) Brown. Rev. William B. Brown was born in Rockbridge county, Va. He was a graduate of Maryville College, Maryville, Tenn. – was ordained to the ministry of the Presbyterian Church in Tennessee, and spent his life in the work of the ministry. He was stated clerk of Kingston (Tenn.) Presbytery for forty consecutive years. He died at Maryville, Tenn., in March, 1879. He married Mary Elizabeth Bicknell, who is still living and resides at Maryville. They had nine children, of whom eight are living: Dr. James M.; Rev. W.B. Brown, a Presbyterian minister at Hays City, Kans.; Mary Ella, deceased wife of Rev. R. H. Coulter; Emma Edwina, wife of Rev. T.T. Alexander, missionary of the Presbyterian Church in Tokio, Japan; Hon. Thomas N., of Maryville, Tenn., a lawyer, and for many years member of the Legislature; John Fielding, a prominent farmer, Maryville, Tenn.; Elizabeth, wife of H. H. Hewitt, Williamsburg, PA.; Erie, wife of Rev. M. N. Rankin, pastor of the Presbyterian church, Mason, Warren county, Ohio; Ethel, residing with her mother in Maryville.
James M. Brown, when he was a child, was taken by his parents to Spring Place, Murray county, Ga., where he spent his early life, and where, under the tutelage and instruction of his father, he received his primary education. He was prepared for college at Cleveland Academy, Cleveland, Tenn.; was graduated from Maryville College in 1869, and then began reading medicine with Dr. J. N. Lyle, of Danbridge, Tenn. In 1872 he graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., and returned at once to Maryville, where he practiced medicine from that time until the fall of 1876. In 1877 he removed to Mines, Blair county, Pa., where he practiced nine years. Since February 8, 1886, he has been in the service of the Pennsylvania railroad. He was first employed by this company at Derry, Westmoreland county, Pa., and in March, 1890, was transferred to Harrisburg.
Dr. Brown was married at Maryville, Tenn., June 22, 1875, to Margaret, daughter of George and Margaret Bell, of Rock Springs, Centre county, Pa. They have no children. During his residence in Blair county from 1877 to 1886, the Doctor was surgeon of the Cambria Iron Company. He is an active member of La Monte Lodge, No. 586, F & A.M., of Derry; of Portage Chapter, No. 238, of Johnstown, Pa.; of Pilgrim Commandery, No. 11, Harrisburg; Harrisburg Consistory, 32º; and of Orphans’ Home Lodge, No. 315, of Williamsport, Pa. He is an ex-president of Blair County Medical Society, and ex-member of the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. His political views are Republican. Dr. and Mrs. Brown attend Pine Street Presbyterian church.