ELI H. COOVER, M. D.
Coover, Eli H., M. D., was born in Lower Allen township, Cumberland county, Pa., October 21, 1827. He is a son of Jacob and Anna (Houser) Coover, natives of Cumberland county. The father was a farmer by occupations, and prominent in his region. He was an active member of the United Brethren church, and prominently identified with every branch of church work. The parents reared a family of twelve children. Eli H. was the seventh son and the ninth child of the family. He was reared in Cumberland county, and received his education in Mechanicsburg high school. He took up the study of medicine under Dr. Augustus Vanhoff and later under Dr. Andrew Miller, of Harrisburg. He attended the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, and was graduated therefrom in 1850. He first began practice in New Cumberland, Cumberland county, and continued it there from 1850 to 1869. He then removed to Harrisburg and continued the practice. In earlier days he combined the practice of dentistry with that of his profession, and is now one of the oldest physicians in practice in the city. He was on of the founders of the Cumberland County Medical Society. He is a member of the Dauphin County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the National Medical Association. He was one of the organizers of the Harrisburg Academy of Medicine, being one of a committee of five chosen from the county medical society to select a suitable place to hold its meetings. He was instrumental in securing the present building and was chosen the first president of the academy, which position he still retains. He was railroad surgeon of the Northern Central railway for seventeen years, from Bridgeport to Goldsboro. He served as United States pension examiner for twelve years, from 1872 to 1883, inclusive. He is a stockholder in the Harrisburg Bank, Harrisburg Trust Company, Central Guarantee Trust and Safe Deposit Company, Chestnut street and Broad street market houses. He has large real estate interests in Harrisburg. In politics he is a Republican and was formerly an active partisan. He was married, first, in 1851, to Miss Annie Hummell, daughter of David Hummell, Esq., of Harrisburg, who died in 1889. She had two children, namely: David H., of Denver, Col., occulist, and Harry R., M. D., of this city. He was again married, October 1, 1890, to Miss Elsie Coover, of Johnstown, Pa. He is not a member of any fraternal society or club. He is a member of the First Lutheran church of Harrisburg. He is a liberal contributor to charitable institutions.
Transcribed by Kathye Thornton, firstname.lastname@example.org,
For The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription
28 Oct 2000
Copyright ã 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.