FORNEY, CHARLES M., of the firm of Forney & Knouse, wholesale and retail druggists, was born in Harrisburg, December 12, 1861. He is a son of Henry Jacob and Lydia (Walmer) Forney. He was educated in the public schools of Harrisburg, including the high school. He next became a student in the pharmaceutical department of the drug store of Dr. M. F. Raysor, and studied with him for three years. The next two years were spent in the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, from which he graduated in March, 1882. He went to Trenton, N. J., where for the following four years he was manager of the drug stores of W. S. Taylor and C. H. Young. In June, 1886, he returned to Harrisburg and purchased the drug business of John B. Foltz, which he conducted until July 1887, at which date he sold the business to Dr. C. M. Fager. In October of the same year, he formed his present co-partnership with Mr. J. H. Knouse, under the firm name of Forney & Knouse.
Charles M. Forney was married in Harrisburg, September 22, 1885, to Miss Anna L. Millard, daughter of Andrew B. and Mary Millard, natives of York county, Pa., who were at that date residents of Steelton, and who now reside in Lisburn, Cumberland county, Pa. One son, Harry A., was born to them January 31, 1887. Mr. Forney is a member of Star of America Commandery, No. 113, K. of M., and Capital City Council, No. 327, Jr. O. U. A. M. In political views he is a Republican. He attends the Presbyterian church at Paxtang, where he resides. He is well and favorably known as a reliable business man, and a citizen of personal worth.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Donna WhippleDwhip79307@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 7 Jan 2001
Copyright © 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.