FOX, THOMAS G., M.D., was born in Hummelstown, Pa., July 19, 1827, and is the son of George and Elizabeth (Eshenour) Fox. George Fox was born in Derry township, Dauphin county. He is the son of John and Margaret (Rupert) Fox, the former a native of Devonshire, England, the latter of Holland. He was reared on the farm and became proprietor of the Golden House, in Hummelstown. He was a Whig, and was postmaster of Hummelstown for thirty-five years. He was an Exemplary citizen, active in all reformatory and progressive movements. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran church. He died in 1856, and his wife, who was a native of Dauphin county, died in 1862. They reared a family of sons, who all became useful and notable men. They are: Richard, farmer and dealer in stock; John E., deceased, a successful banker in Philadelphia, died leaving an extensive estate; James, a prominent lawyer in Harrisburg, district attorney, member of the Legislature for three terms, a brilliant orator; George, deceased; Abner, farmer at Danville, Ill.,and Thomas G.
The latter attended the subscription school in Hummelstown until he was fourteen, when he went to Harrisburg to learn printing. He spent four years in the office of the Telegraph ; at the end of this time he went to Philadelphia and was employed for two years as clerk in the Exchange Bank. The next three years he spent in the study of medicine, taking the regular course in the Jefferson Medical College, from which institution he graduated with honors, in 1852. He returned at once to Hummelstown and opened an office for the practice of medicine. He was a skillful physican, and met with gratifying success. He continued in practice until 1873, when he retired from active professional duties. Dr. Fox has been somewhat conspicuous in politics in connection with the Republican party. He was a member of the Legislature for two terms; was elected prothonotary of Dauphin county for two terms; served asschool director of Hummelstown and Derry township for sixteen years.
He was married in Hummelstown, May 11, 1852, to Diana, daughter of Henry and Mary (Landis) Hershey, born July 12, 1832, in Derry township. They had nine children: Dr. L. Webster, a very prominent oculist of Philadelphia; Elizabeth; James G., farmer, of Chester county, Pa., John E., a well-known attorney in Harrisburg; Addie, wife of J.H. Gay, carpet manufacturer, of Philadelphia; Mary H.; Caroline, wife of John P. Nissley, of Hummelstown; George H., medical student in Philadelphia, and one child who died young. Dr. Fox has substantial interests in real estate. He is the owner of six hundred acres of land. He is enterprising and progressive and is highly esteemed. Mr. and Mrs. Fox are popular in social circles, are active in promoting the welfare of the community, and are members of the Lutheran church.