GARNER, John E., principal of the Harrisburg Business College, was born in Carroll county, Md., May 28, 1846. He is a son of Abraham and Mary A. (Appler) Garner. His father was a prosperous farmer, and died in his native State, August 2, 1879. His mother is still living and resides in Maryland. Their family consists of three children, namely: Elias Oliver, Rebecca C., wife of Samuel Galt, who resides in Carroll county, Md., and John E. John E. was reared to manhood in his native county, receiving his primary education in the public schools. Until the fall of 1868 he was engaged in teaching school and working on the farm. In the fall of 1868 he entered the Normal School of Millersville, Pa. Here he spent five years and was graduated in 1873. He then again engaged in teaching school in Lancaster county, Pa., for about three years, attending college also during the summer for the purpose of perfecting himself in the higher branches of education. In 1876 he removed to Harrisburg and was engaged in the city schools for eight years. In 1885 he opened the Business College, now so well known to the people of this and adjoining counties. He was married in Harrisburg, July 5, 1881, to Ettie S. White, daughter of Rudolph and Elizabeth A. White. To them have been born three children, namely: John E., born October 28, 1886; Elizabeth May, born March 24, 1890; and Gilbert D., born June 17, 1893. Mr. Garner is an active member of the Order of American Mechanics. In political views he is a Republican, and he attends the Church of God. Mrs. Garner is a member of Pine Street Presbyterian church. Mr. Garner has acquired distinction in his profession. His college enjoys a large and growing popularity, and has sent many bright and promising young men to recruit the ranks of business men. The institution was organized in 1873, by Prof. John N. Currey, as a night school and in 1880 day sessions were added. In 1885 Prof. Garner, then one of the popular teachers of the school, assumed entire control. He reorganized and systematized the course of instruction. This same is eminently practical and is under the direct personal charge of the principal, who is assisted by a large corps of able instructors. The course embraces practical arithmetic, bookkeeping, grammar, spelling, commercial correspondence, rapid calculations, shorthand, typewriting, commercial law and business ethics. To all persons who have been denied a thorough course of common school education, and to those who are deficient in any particular branch, a great opportunity is here afforded. Special departments are open to young men and ladies who wish to better fit themselves for a thorough course of collegiate or commercial studies. The college is handsomely appointed and is centrally located at No. 330 Market street.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Janice Frank firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 19 Jan 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or
organization is strictly prohibited