GILMORE, JAMES A., Harrisburg Bridge Company, was born in Indiana county, Pa., August 7, 1822, son of John and Elizabeth (Davies) Gilmore. The mother was a native of Carlisle and the father who was of Scotch-Irish descent, came form the North of Ireland to America when a young man. On his arrival he enlisted in the United States army and served in the war of 1812. After the war he settled in Indiana county, and after his marriage removed from there to Carlisle, Pa., where both he and his wife died. He was a contractor and was engaged in work on the Cumberland Valley railroad. James A. left home at the early age of sixteen years and went to Duncannon, Pa., where he found work among the furnaces until 1840, when he came to Harrisburg and learned the trade of cabinet maker with Joseph R. Boyd. He worked at his trade for some years and then was employed by the State in the building of the Pennsylvania Canal, worked on bridges, locks and gates for five years and subsequently was employed about the same length of time by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, after which he engaged with W.O. Hickok at the Eagle Works, in the wood working department where he remained a number of years. In 1873 he entered the service of the Harrisburg Bridge Company and took charge of the repair work on the bridge, which position he has occupied since that time. Mr. Gilmore sent a substitute into the army. In his political views he is a Democrat but has never sought office. He was married, in 1844, to Miss Adeline Stahl, daughter of John Stahl, of Harrisburg. Their children are: John A., a retail merchant of Harrisburg; Mary, wife of Lalta Laverty, of Norwood, Delaware county; Ida. married W.J. Poole, deceased. Mr. Gilmore is an active member of the Presbyterian church.