GOUGH, HENRY W., managing partner of the firm of H. W. Gough & Co., dealers in furniture, was born in Monmouthshire, Wales, December 6, 1861, and is the only surviving issue of William and Elizabeth (Thomas) Gough. In the early part of 1862 his father left his native land in a sailing vessel to seek a home for his family in the New World. After a tedious passage, he reached New York on the fourth day of July 1862, and at once proceeded to Danville, Pa., where he concluded to take up his residence. In the following year his wife and family, including Henry W., also left the shores of old England and and set out to join the husband and father, who eagerly welcomed them on their arrival in New York in August, 1863. He conducted them to the new home which he had prepared for them in Danville, Pa., They continued to reside in Danville until March, 1867, when they removed to Harrisburg, the father having preceded them there in 1866. He was spared to them but a short time after their arrival in Harrisburg; he died in 1867. The mother still survives at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, hale and hearty, and is an honored and revered resident of Kittanning, Armstrong county, Pa.
From 1867 until the present date, with the exception of two years spent in the western part of this State, Henry W. Gough has been a continuous resident of Harrisburg. He received the advantages of a public school education. After leaving school he entered the company store of the Lochiel iron mill, and from October, 1878, until August, 1882, he was continuously in this employment; first, in the capacity of clerk, and for the last three years as bookkeeper.
On September 11, 1882, he entered the employ of D. W. Gross & Son, druggists, as bookkeeper in their establishment, and continued in this position until August 16, 1893. For the following year he was not engaged in any special branch of business, but was employed as an expert accountant in auditing the accounts of insolvent estates. On August 6, 1894, he entered the employ of the Yingst Carpet Company, and took charge of the financial part of this business until March 1, 1895. On this date Mr. Gough, in connection with some other members of the company, purchased the business and was appointed managing partner.
Henry W. Gough was married in Philadelphia, August 25, 1885, to Miss Jennie L. Cope, daughter of John and Mary Cope, residents of Harrisburg. They had three children, Mary Lewis, William Bailey, and John Edwin. Mr. Gough is a member of Robert Burns Lodge, NO. 464, F. & A. M., Dauphin Lodge, No. 160, and Dauphin Encampment, No. 10, I. O. O. F. He is an active politician in the ranks of the Republican party. he has creditably represented the First ward in common council for two terms, and is now a member of select council from that ward He was twice nominated for the office of city comptroller, but was defeated by W. K. Verbeke, the present incumbent. Mr. and Mrs. Gough are consistent members of the Market Square Presbyterian church.
Peggy McNeal, for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project –