GREGORY, Frank H., general secretary Y. M. C. A., Pennsylvania Railroad Branch, was born in Philadelphia October 9, 1861. His grandfather, Gen. Edgar M. Gregory, served with distinction during the war of the Rebellion. He was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville May 3, 1863. He was promoted to brevet brigadier general September 1, 1864, and to brevet major general August 9, 1865. He was honorably discharged by general orders November 3, 1867. He served as United States marshal at Philadelphia from the date of his discharge from the army until his death. Capt. Frank H. Gregory, son of the above-mentioned General Gregory and father of the subject of this sketch, was a prominent contractor and bridge builder in Philadelphia, but during the latter years of his life he was with the Globe Gas Light Company, of Philadelphia. In the late war between the States he commanded company A, Ninety-first regiment, Pennsylvania volunteer ihnfantry, and with his company took part in many prominent engagements. He died at Philadelphia Mar, 1877, after an active and successful career, leaving a good name as an inheritance to his descendants. His faithful and devoted wife, Mary A. (Fletcher) Gregory, still survives and resides at Derry, Pa. They had four children, three of whom are living: C. Augusta, Frank H. and W. Elbert, the eldest and youngest both residing at Derry, Pa.
Frank H. was educated in the public schools of Philadelphia and of Danville, Pa. For a short time he was salesman in a general store in Philadelphia. Afterwards he learned the wire-manufacturing business and for about fourn months he was engaged in this business in his own interest in Philadelphia. In 1886 he was appointed assistant secretary of the P. R. R. department of the Y. M. C. A. at Philadelphia. He efficiently filled this position for nine months, when he was appointed secretary of the same institution at Derry, Pa.,; there he remained until 1893, when he was transferred to his present position at Harrisburg. His judicious, faithful and courteous management of the affairs of the society have given him a large place in the esteem and affection of the members.
Mr. Gregory was married at West Chester September 17, 1895, to Mis Lula May Freeman, daughter of W. H. M. and Mary Freeman, of that city. Mr Gregory is an active member of Derry Lodge, No. 942, I. O. O. F., of Derry, Pa.; also of Nazareth Commandery, No. 125, K. of M., of Harrisburg. In political views he is a Prohibitionist. He and his wife attend the Presbyterian church.
Biographical Encyclopedia of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Janice Frank firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 23 Jan 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or
organization is strictly prohibited