HERMAN, John C., deceased, was born on Shelly's Island, in the Susquehanna river, Dauphin county, Pa., November 5, 1836; son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Crull) Herman. His parents removed to the vicinity of Lewisberry, York county, where he was reared and received his education. He served an apprenticeship at cigar making, and began business for himself early in life; at the outset of his career he displayed extraordinary business tact and talent.
At the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, Mt. Herman yielded to his patriotic impulses and sentiments, laid aside his business and enlisted in the army in response to the call of President Lincoln. He was enrolled and mustered into company K, One Hundred and Thirtieth Pennsylvania volunteers, and was with his regiment in some of the most hotly contested engagements of the war, conspicuous among which are the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. He was honorably discharged from the service when his term of enlistment had expired, and returned to the occupations of civil life, bearing in his body the marks of wounds received on the fields of conflict. After leaving the army, Mr. Herman returned to Lewisberry, Pa., and was for a short time engaged in the tobacco business; from there went to New York and established a wholesale business. In 1866 he became a senior partner in the firm of Herman & Hay, and established a wholesale and retail tobacco business in Harrisburg, which occupied him for the remainder of his life. Mr. Hay retired from the firm at the end of two years, and the business was thereafter ably and successfully conducted by Mr. Herman, who also dealt extensively in leaf tobacco. He was the first person to take out a manufacturer's license in the Harrisburg district. The integrity of his character and his honorable methods in business won for him the utmost confidence of all who dealt with him, and as a result his commercial relations were rapidly and widely extended, and he attained the most gratifying success. He was the local wholesale agent for some of the most famous tobacco manufacturers and merchants in the world, who unhesitatingly entrusted him with valuable business interests, and cordially honored him as an able and honest man and merchant.
Although busily occupied with the important and varied interests of his private enterprise, which were never neglected or slighted, he found time to participate in politics, and was often active in public affairs, being several times honored by his fellow-citizens with positions of trust. In 1881 he was selected to serve the unexpired term of Mayor Patterson, and at the subsequent election was chosen by a large majority to this important office. His official career was characterized by the same ability and fidelity that he had displayed in commercial affairs. Retiring from office, Mr. Herman resumed business, and personally supervised his vast establishment until his death. The illness which resulted in his death had its inception in a severe cold contracted in the year previous, which, together with a disease of the heart, baffled all medical skill, and gradually brought him down to the grave. He was well aware of his approaching dissolution, and made ready his affairs, meeting his end with peace and resignation. Mr. Herman was prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, and Pilgrim Commandery, Knights Templar. He was also a prominent member of Post 58, G. A. R., and one of the founders of the Young Men's Republican Club, being its second president, and a member until its dissolution. He was a charter member of the Board of Trade and took an active interest in building up the city. He was chairman of the citizens' committee who erected the monument at State and Second streets to the memory of the soldiers of Dauphin county.
Mr. Herman had the most kindly disposition, and was uniformly genial and courteous. He was warm hearted and generous, and enjoyed the esteem and affection of his fellow-men. He died July 17, 1886, and was followed to his tomb by a large concourse of citizens.
He was married, in 1861, to Miss Frances, daughter of Moses McGrew, of York county. His widow and three children survive. The children are: Edwin S.; Jennie F., who married Dr. John C. Bucher, of Lebanon, Pa., and Florence M.
Edwin S. Herman was born in Lewisberry, York county, Pa., May 9, 1864. After finishing his education in the Harrisburg high school he became associated with his father in business. After the death of his father he conducted the business as an estate for
about eight years, when he and his mother became the sole owners, and have since conducted the business under the firm name of John C. Herman & Co. Mr. Herman was a very young man when the death of his father cast the burden of conducting the business upon him, and he is entitled to much credit for the able and successful manner in which he has managed it. He is an active young business man, a member of the Board of Trade, and a director in the Harrisburg Trust Company. He is a Republican in politics. He is a member of all branches of the Masonic fraternity, from the blue lodge to the consistory.
Mr. Herman was married in 1887 to Miss C. Almeda Kunkel Wallower, daughter of Col. John and Mary (Zollinger) Wallower, of Harrisburg. They have two children, Frances Mary and John Crull. Mrs. Herman is a member of Grace Methodist Episcopal church.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Gwen Bixler Drivon at GGDGEN@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription
Date of Transcription: 19 Feb. 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.