GERHARD, Jerome
Back Up Next

JEROME Z. GERHARD

 

GERHARD, JEROME Z., son of William T. and Elizabeth (Seibert) Gerhard, was born November 6, 1842, in Cherryville, Northampton county, Pa. He was prepared for college in the high school at Lancaster, Pa., and the preparatory department of Franklin and Marshall College, and graduated from that instititution in 1864. He entered the office of Dr. John L. Atlee, of Lancaster, in September of that year, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1868, and at once opened an office in Lancaster, where he remained nearly two years in active practice. During this time he was visiting physician to the Children’s Home, and one of the physicians to the Lancaster County Hospital. February 1, 1870, he entered upon the duties of first assistant physician of the Harrisburg Hospital, and February 12, 1881 succeeded Dr. Curwen as superintendent, which position he held until November 1, 1891. During the year 1877 he spent five months on the continent, and thoroughly inspected the methods of treatment practiced in hospitals there.

Dr. Gerhard is a member of the Dauphin County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association; also the Neurological Society of Philadelphia, and the American Academy of Medicine. He was married in 1881 to Miss Mary Hill, daughter of George Hill, a prominent attorney of Sunbury, Pa., and they have two children, Elizabeth Hill and Alice Hill. The Doctor is an active member and an elder in the German Reformed church. He is independent in his political views.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Transcribed by Kathye Thornton, kathyethornton@hotmail.com,

For The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription

November 19, 2000

Copyright ã 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.

Page 371-372

HIRAM McGOWAN, M. D.

 

McGOWAN, HIRAM, M. D., was born on the "Octorora," in Lancaster county, Pa., November 6, 1846, and is a son of John and Catherine (Knott) McGowan. He received his education at Unionville, Chester county, and at Lewisburg, Union county, Pa. He then went to Philadelphia and began the study of medicine under Dr. C. P. Tutt, attended the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated from the medical department of that institution in 1868. On May 21 of that year he located in Harrisburg and began the practice of his profession, and for many years has been recognized as one of the most learned, skillful and successful practitioners of the city. He is a member of the county and State medical societies, and of the American Medical Association. In the organization of the Harrisburg Academy of Medicine, he took an active part, being chairman of the committee to formulate plans, and one of the instigators of the same. He is the first vice-president of that institution. During the Rebellion he served in the Second Pennsylvania militia under Colonel Wright, and in Captain Lambert’s Independent Cavalry company, of Harrisburg. He is a staunch member of the Republican party, and takes an active interest in the welfare of the same.

 

Transcribed by Kathye Thornton, kathyethornton@hotmail.com,

For The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription

November 19, 2000

Copyright ã 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.

Page 372