KELLEY, HENRY M., , Henry M.wholesale coal dealer and manager of the Bay Shoe Manufacturing Company, Harrisburg, Pa., was born in Philadelphia, June 22, 1840. He is the youngest son and only survivor of three children of Andrew and Ruth (Grayson) Kelley, both native of England, but residents of the United States from their infancy. He received the advantages of the public schools in his native city, and after leaving school learned the trade of machinist, which vocation he pursued till 1876. His last work in this line of business was the setting up of the engines in the pumping station of the city water works, at the foot of North street, which he afterwards operated for two years. In 1876 Mr. Kelley engaged in the wholesale and retail coal trade. On his premises, situated near the canal, on Stat street, he operates the largest business of this kind in the city. Mr. Kelley has been a continuous resident of Harrisburg for thirty years, and besides his connection with the branches of business already named, he is a director in the boards of the Brelsford Packing Company, Pennsylvania Ammonia and Fertilizing Company and the Harrisburg Traction Company. Mr. Kelley has shown himself to be thoroughly alive to the business activities of the times, is universally respected for his honorable business methods and intelligent enterprise, and highly esteemed in financial circles for his integrity. He has won success by honorably deserving it. He is a member of Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464. F & A. M, Perseverance Chapter, No. 21, R. A. M.; Pilgrim Commandery, No. 11, and Lulu Temple of the Mystic Shrine. In politics he is a staunch Republican.
Mr. Kelley was married in Philadelphia, October 31, 1870, to Miss Caroline Elder. They had had but one child and it died in infancy.
Peggy McNeal, for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project –