THE KLINGER FAMILY
The Klinger Family - George S. and Daniel S. Klinger are of German ancestry, and are the fourth generation of their family in this country. John Philip Klinger, their first progenitor in America, and their great-great-grandfather, was born in Poffenberfort, Germany, July 11, 1723. It is supposed that he married in Germany and soon after came to America. He was a farmer, and was first settled at Reading, Pa., where his wife died. He returned to Germany and married again, then removed to Lykens township, Dauphin county, and engaged in developing a farm from the wilderness. He died in Lykens township, September 30, 1811, leaving a large family, some of whom located in Western Pennsylvania and Ohio.
George Klinger (1), great-grandfather of George S. and Daniel S. Klinger, was born in Lykens township, Dauphin county, May 13, 1761, and there passed his youth. After his marriage he removed to Lower Mahantango township, Schuylkill county, Pa., where he died April 24, 1840. George Klinger (2), grandfather of George S and Daniel S., was born in what was then Mahantango, but is now Hubly township, Schuylkill county, September 16, 1787. He spent his life in his native township. He married Catherine Schmeltz. Their children are: Andrew, died at Mt. Carmel, Pa., was a farmer, married and left a family; Elizabeth, married Daniel S. Kissinger, both died in Lykens township; William, father of George S. and Daniel S.; Elias, married Sallie Kissinger, both died in Lykens township; Daniel, married Caroline Shadle, resides at Seven Points, Northumberland county, Pa.; Mary, married, first, Jacob Shade, and second, Peter Potticher, deceased, resides in Tower City, Pa.; Magdalena, died at Seven Points, Pa., wife of Samuel Klinger, who survives her. The grandfather died November 18, 1838. His widow was again married, to George Welker. She died April 22, 1872
William Klinger, father of George S. and Daniel S. Klinger, was born in Hubly township, Schuylkill county, Pa., April 19, 1820, and grew up on the farm on which he was born. When a young man he learned the art of mason work, which he afterwards practiced in addition to farming. He died September 17, 1872, and is buried at Klinger's Church, Lykens, township. He married Rebecca Schoffstall, who survives him, and resides at Gratz, Pa. She was born February 23, 1825, and is a daughter of John and Magdalena (Hoover) Schoffstall. Their children are : George S.; Maria, Mrs. Jacob M. Wiest, Lykens township; Caroline, Mrs. Emanuel Miller, Lykens township; Elizabeth, died young; Daniel S.; Mary Jane, died young; William, a mason; Tobias, huckster, Gratz, Pa.; Louisa, Mrs. Benneville R. Troutman, Lykens township; John S., stonemason, Hubly township, Schuylkill county; Catherine, Mrs. Jacob Williard, Gratz, Pa., and Levi, Hubly township, Schuylkill county, Pa.
George S. Klinger was educated in the common schools, and grew up on the farm. In 1862, at the age of eighteen, he went into the army as a substitute for his father, and in September of that year was enrolled in company F, One Hundred and Seventy-third Pennsylvania volunteers; left Harrisburg with the regiment early in November. This regiment was composed of companies A, D, F, G and H from Schuylkill county; E from Perry county, and K from Dauphin county. It was organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, in October and November, 1862, with the following field officers: Daniel Negley, Schuylkill county, colonel; Zaccheus P. Boyer, Schuylkill county, lieutenant colonel; Grant Weidman, Lebanon county, major. On November 30, 1862, the regiment moved to Washington, D.C., and was ordered to Suffolk, Va., but before reaching Fortress Monroe its destination was changed to Norfolk. Upon its arrival there it reported to General Veile, and was assigned to duty in guarding the approach to Camp Veile, three miles north of Norfolk, where the regiment was thoroughly drilled, and detailed to duty as follows: Two companies were stationed at Norfolk, one at Princess Anne Court House, twelve miles southeast of Norfolk, at the intrenched lines running from shore to shore, and protecting Norfolk on the north; an officer and twenty men at Swells Point, a non-commissioned officer and twenty-five men at Cape Henry Lighthouse; two companies at the Dorris Mill bridge, or head of West Branch, thirteen miles southwest of Norfolk, towards Suffolk; a non-commissioned officer and six men as guard to the mail boat Arrow, running through Albemarle Sound to Roanoke; a guard at the Indian Pole bridge, north of Norfolk; a guard at the Great Bridge, ten miles south of Norfolk, at the Albemarle canal; a guard at Princess Anne river, and a guard along Farmers' creek. These detachments were regularly relieved at intervals of a week.
Early in May 1863, the regiment was ordered to Norfolk for provost duty, where it remained until July 9, and was then sent with the One Hundred and Seventy-seventh Pennsylvania volunteers to Washington D.C., and thence to Frederick, Md., reporting to General Meade, who was moving in pursuit of the Rebel army on its retreat from Gettysburg, Pa. It was immediately ordered to report to General Howard, in command of the Eleventh corps, and was assigned to the First brigade of the Second division, in which it was associated with the Twenty-seventh and Seventy-third Pennsylvania regiments, and the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth and One Hundred and Fifty-fourth New York regiments. It was now subjected to long and tedious marches, to which it was little accustomed. It crossed the Potomac river at Berlin, four miles below Harper's Ferry, and was finally settled on guard duty to the Orange and Alexandria railroad, at Warrenton Junction, Bristow Station and Manassas Junction. On August 13, the term of his service having expired, the regiment was ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., where it was mustered out of service, August 16, 17 and 18, 1863.
After his discharge from the army, Mr. Klinger returned to his home in Schuylkill county, and served a short apprenticeship with Henry Klinger, stone mason, and subsequently worked at the trade on his own account. In 1870 he bought a saw mill in Lykens township, Dauphin county, Pa., near Gratz, which he operated at times, besides working at his trade until December 14, 1883, when he met with a painful accident while cutting down a tree, being struck on the knee by a glancing axe; which severed one of the main cords, and left him lame for life. In partnership with Samuel Klinger, he also owned and operated a threshing machine for three or four years. In 1893 he sold his saw mill and turned his attention to mercantile business. In 1885 in connection with his brother, Daniel S. he had bought the general stock of goods of William Erdman, at Gratz, most of which was destroyed by fire, May 1, 1886. They then purchased the site on which they erected their present store, which was completed in December, 1888, they having, after the fire, occupied the Odd Fellow's building with their business. Their store is very complete and their stock full in all lines of their business.
Mr. George S. Klinger has never married. He is a Democrat, and has been tax collecter and auditor. He is a member of the Lutheran church.
Daniel S. Klinger, brother of George S. and his partner in business, was born in Hubly township, Schuylkill county, Pa., and received his primary education in the common school. He also attended Freeburg Seminary in 1869, and Berrysburg Seminary in 1870. He afterwards taught school for fifteen winter terms and two summer terms. In 1883 he engaged in mercantile business with his brother George, as above stated.
Mr. D.S. Klinger was married in Upper Mahantango township, Schuylkill county, Pa., February 9, 1873, to Miss Lizzie, daughter of Nathan and Rachel (Montelius) Erdman. Their children are Alvin; Lemuel, died in infancy; Meta Maria, Ursula Sadie, Eston Dorman, and Guy Raymond, all at home. Mr. Klinger is a Democrat. He is now serving his second term in council. He has also been judge of elections for one term.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Michael W. Gerberick, email@example.com, for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transciption Project -
Date of Transcription: February 14, 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.