KLUGH, Jacob Frederick, Highspire, Pa., was born in Newberrytown, York county, Pa., March 17, 1838. He is a son of Frederick H. and Catherine (Elicker) Klugh, natives of York county, who moved to Maytown, Lancaster county, Pa., in 1840. His father was a potter, and also taught school in York and Lancaster counties.
J.F. Klugh was reared in Maytown, Pa., and educated in the public schools. In 1852 his father died, and he then worked with his brother, Henry E. Klugh (now a prominent and successful attorney of New York City), in his fatherís pottery at Maytown, Pa., until the year 1857, when he took charge of the pottery himself and carried on the pottery business until 1864. In 1857 he began teaching school in the winter, and continued teaching until 1868, and one term after that in 1874; and while teaching he was principal of the Elizabethtown high school three terms, the Manheim high school one term, and the Highspire high school two terms. In 1865 he engaged in the clothing business in Marietta, Pa., and Harrisburg. He was bookkeeper for the Elizabethtown boot and shoe factory, and also bookkeeper and local editor on the Harrisburg Patriot for a short time. He permanently came to Highspire in 1870, engaging with William K. Wilson, and had charge of his business and telegraphing until 1882, when he began the manufacture of cigars, dealing in real estate, surveying and drafting. He quit manufacturing cigars in the spring of 1889, since which time he has given his attention to real estate, surveying, drafting, and the office of the justice of the peace, to which office he was first elected in 1874, and has uninterruptedly served in that capacity until the present time, with the exception of two years in the service of the United States Government as special examiner of pensions, under the commissioner of pensions, Hon. John C. Black. Recently he has purchased about twenty-eight acres of finely located land adjoining the town of Highspire, which he laid out as "Klughton," an addition to Highspire. He is a member of Elizabethtown Lodge, No. 128, I.O.O.F., and Dauphin Encampment, No. 10, of Harrisburg, Pa. He was the promoter of the Middletown, Highspire and Steelton Street Railway Company, of which he was a stockholder and director until it was built and swallowed up by the East Harrisburg Passenger Railroad Company, now a part of the Harrisburg Traction Company, and was stockholder in the Highspire Car Shops, which failed in 1872, and is a stockholder of the Highspire Building and Savings Association. In 1865 he married Miss Mary C., daughter of George and Matilda (Black) Hambright, of Wilmington, Del. They have had seven children, five of whom are living, viz: Oliver R., M.D. of Harrisburg, Pa., Ida Nora, Aaron D., Mary C., and Jacob Handcock. Mr. Klugh was brought up a Lutheran, which church and Sunday-school he regularly attended, but since he is at Highspire he is a contributor to and the family attended the United Brethren church.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Phyllis Edwards;firstname.lastname@example.org; for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project
Date of Transcription: 01 Feb 2001
Copyright” 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.