KREMER, Rev. Ellis N., was born in Cumberland county, Pa., October 27, 1846, son of Rev. A. H. and Rebecca (Keiffer) Kremer. Frederick Kremer, the paternal grandfather, was a cooper by trade, and later in life was engaged in farming. The maternal grandfather was also a farmer, and was an elder in the Reformed church for some years, which office he held at the time of Ills death. Rev. A. H. Kremer, the father, was born in November, 1814, and the mother was born at Little Washington, Lancaster county, Pa., in March, 1815. The father removed with his parents to York county, where he received his education in the high school at York and in Mercersburg College, and he was graduated from the Theological Seminary at Mercersburg in 1839. His first pastorate was at Shippensburg, in which he served seven years. He was called to Carlisle in 1846, and remained there until the spring of 1861. He was then called to the First church at Lancaster, Pa., where he served until the fall of 1877, when he was recalled to his old church at Carlisle, where he remained until his death in 1894. Mr. Kremer was also president of the board of trustees of the Theological Seminary for a number of years. He was married to Miss Rebecca Keiffer, by whom he had eight children, one of whom, Stephen K., died in the active ministry at Greencastle, Pa., in 1876. The father died at the age of seventy-nine years; the mother is still living at the age of eighty-one years, and resides at Greencastle, Pa.
Ellis N. attended the schools of Cumberland county until he was thirteen years of age, and then took the preparatory and collegiate course at Franklin and Marshall College, from which he was graduated in 1865. After his graduation he was clerk in the bookstore of John Shaeffer, at Lancaster city, for three years, and in the fall of 1868 entered the Theological Seminary at Mercersburg, from which he was graduated in 1871. The same year he settled as pastor at Bedford, Pa., being licensed to preach in the spring, and ordained to the ministry November 11 following. This charge was composed of three congregations: Bedford, St. Paul's and Pleasant Hill. In 1881 the charge was divided and Rev. Kremer remained pastor of the Bedford congregation, in which relation he continued for sixteen years. During his pastorate there was great growth and improvement, the parsonage and the new church edifice having been erected in that time. Rev. Kremer resigned this pastorate to enter the wider field of usefulness in Harrisburg, which he has since occupied with the same success that has attended his labors in other fields. In recognition of his scholarly attainments and devoted labors, he was honored with the degree of Doctor of Divinity by his alma mater in 1895. Dr. Kremer was married, November 23, 1871, at Lancaster, Pa., to Miss Sallie E. Swan, daughter of H. B. and Frances (Toby) Swan, to whom have been born seven children, of whom five are living. Dr. Kremer is now secretary of the board of home missions of the Reformed Church.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 18 July 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.