GEORGE H. MARKLEY, M. D.
MARKLEY, GEORGE H., M. D., pharmacist Harrisburg, Pa., was born in Lancaster, Pa., March 28, 1833. He is a son of George B. and Elizabeth (Hufnagle) Markley. George B. Markley was born in Strasburg, Lancaster county, and was of Hollandish extraction. He spent his life in that county. For many years he carried on an extensive business in merchandise. He was a prominent man in his community. He died August 10, 1859. His wife, Elizabeth Hufnagle, was a native of Lancaster, whose ancestors also came from Holland. She was the last surviving member of her family, and died January 27, 1864. They had six children: Amos H., died in childhood, Elizabeth M., wife of J. M. W. Geist, died November 8, 1893, Henry H., died September 21, 1868, John B., living in Lancaster, Dr. George H. and Samuel B., died September 17, 1868.
George H. Markley passed his youth in his native city and received his elementary education in her public schools. He took a classical course at Franklin College, Lancaster. In 1851, at the close of his collegiate course, he went Philadelphia and became a student in pharmacy. He was graduated from the College of Pharmacy with the class of 1854. While acquiring a theoretical knowledge of his profession, from 1851 to 1855, he was applying his knowledge and attaining to skill through practice by engagement in the drug store of Peter Williamson & Son. In 1855 he began the study of medicine and graduated from the Pennsylvania Medical College in 1858. He practiced medicine in Lancaster for a few years. He was engaged in the drug business for himself in that city until 1866, when he removed to Harrisburg and has since been in business here.
In 1864 Dr. Markley enlisted as a private in the Tenth Pennsylvania volunteers. After a short term of service he was honorably discharged. Since the erection of the opera house in 1873 he has been connected in various ways with that enterprise. He is now senior partner in the firm of Markley & Co., managers of the opera house. George H. Markley was married in Harrisburg, December 2, 1862, to Emma, daughter of Charles A. and Barabara (Keller) Snyder, early settlers of Harrisburg. They have three daughters living: Helen L., wife of Simon B. Cameron, residing in Lancaster county; Elva G., wife of Ralph Shaw, Esq., residing at Little Falls, N. J.; Katherine E., residing with her parents.
Dr. Markley is a staunch Republican, of the old Whig stock. He has represented the Third ward of Harrisburg as school director for one term, and the Fourth ward as councilman on term. He is a member of Perseverance Lodge, No. 21, F. & A. M., and of Post No. 58, G. A. R.
Transcribed by Kathye Thornton, email@example.com,
For The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcription
5 Nov 2000
Copyright ã 2000 – All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.