MILNOR, George W., merchant, was born at Philadelphia, Pa., July 30, 1856. He is a son of Mahlon and Elizabeth (Neilson) Milnor. These worthy people ere residents of Philadelphia until 1880, since which date they have resided at York, Pa. They had but two children: Elizabeth, wife of H. D. Rupp, a prominent merchant of York, Pa., and George W. The latter received the advantages of a public school education in his native city. He began his business career as accountant and cashier in a large house-furnishing and fancy goods warehouse in Philadelphia. The ability he displayed and his fidelity won for him the position of manager of the establishment. He left his native city in 1880, and engaged in business for himself at York, Pa. He removed to Harrisburg , in January, 1884, and associated himself in the mercantile business with George Hoyer, under the firm name of Hoyer & Milnor. He was married, in Deleware, to Sallie L. Cavender, daughter of Thomas and Lydia Cavender. They have no children.
Mr. Milnor has represented the Fourth ward in the common council, and in April, 1895, was elected president of that honorable body. He takes and active part in all political contests on the side of the Republican party. He is a thorough business man, respected for his integrity.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Linda Mockenhaupt email@example.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 29 March 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.