MISH, George F., M. D., Middletown, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., July 5, 1827. He is a son of George and Catherine (Doll) Mish. The first of the Mish family to settle in Dauphin county was Jacob Mish, a son of Johannes Mish, of Cumberland county, Pa., who settled in Harrisburg in 1780. He was a tanner, and established one of the first tanneries of Harrisburg. His wife was Catherine Bickle. Their children were: John Bickle, George, Jacob, Henry, and Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife of George W. Boyd, of Harrisburg. John B. Mish read medicine with Dr. Samuel Agnew, of Harrisburg, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. He located in Lebanon, Pa., where he resided until his death in 1847. He served as burgess of the town and as prothonotary of Lebanon county, and was a highly respected citizen. Jacob Mish learned the tannerís trade, and became associated with his father in that business. He died in Harrisburg. Henry Mish died at the age of twenty-two years.
George Mish, father of George F., was born in Harrisburg about 1795. He received the ordinary education of that period, and learned that tannerís trade, but not finding it a congenial vocation he did not follow it. He was connected with the Government land office for some years, and afterwards became a contractor on the Pennsylvania canal, Pennsylvania railroad and other public works. In early life he was a Democrat, but later became identified with the Whig party. He served as prothonotary of the county. During the war of 1812 he enlisted in the volunteer services, but after reaching Baltimore the services of the company were not required. He was cashier of the First Dauphin Deposit Bank. He was a member of the German Reformed church and of the Masonic fraternity. He died in 1850.
His wife was Catherine Doll, daughter of Joseph and Esther Doll, of Dauphin county, who survived him many years, and died in 1879. Their family consisted of four daughters, who died in infancy, and four sons, as follows: (1) Henry Augustus, was educated in Harrisburg and graduated from Marshall College, Mercersburg, Franklin County. He studied law with George W. Harris, of Harrisburg, and practiced his profession at Chambersburg and Mercersburg. He established the Mercersburg Weekly Journal and the Franklin Intelligencer, of Chambersburg, and also published the Mercersburg Review, edited by Rev. J. W. Nevin, D. D., and the Kirchenfreund, edited by Rev. Philip Schaff, D. D. He afterwards removed to Harrisburg and practiced his profession for a short time, when he established the Keystone Nurseries. During the war of the Rebellion he served as volunteer for a short time, and was appointed to office in Washington, D.C. He was never married. He died September 16, 1870. (2) Simon Cameron Mish was born January 7, 1833. He was appointed in the United States navy as a midshipman, and went with Commodore Perry to Japan. He resigned from the navy at the outbreak of the Rebellion and enlisted in the Fourth Pennsylvania cavalry; he was sergeant-major of his regiment. He was taken prisoner and confined at Andersonville, where it is supposed he died. (3) Jacob Mish was born at Harrisburg, April 4, 1835. He engaged in farming in Swatara township and afterwards became connected with the Keystone Nurseries. He served in the war of the Rebellion and was quartermaster of his regiment. (4) George F.
Dr. George F. Mish was reared in Harrisburg. He received his education at the Harrisburg Academy and at Captain Partridgeís Military Institution, of Bristol, Pa., afterwards of Norwich, Vt. He learned the printerís trade, and afterwards read medicine under Dr. Joshua M. Wiestling, of Harrisburg, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1853; he began his practice in the same year at Middletown, Pa. In 1858 he moved to Harrisburg, where he practiced for two years, and returned to Middletown in 1860, where he has since resided. He is one of the oldest physicians of Dauphin county. He has served as vice-president of the Dauphin County Medical Association. From 1862 to 1865 he served as assistant surgeon of the Fifteenth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers. He was taken prisoner at Stone River and confined in Libby prison, but was soon exchanged. He is one of the organizers of the Middletown Gas Company and is its vice-president. He is one of the organizers and the president of the Middletown Drainage Company. He belongs to Simon Cameron Post, G. A. R., of Middletown. The Doctor enjoys an extensive practice. He and his family are member of the Presbyterian church of Middletown. In 1859 he married Mary E. Smuller, daughter of George and Caroline (Fisher) Smuller, of Middletown. They have four children: Caroline S., wife of Dr. Charles H. Saul, of Steelton, Pa.; George, civil engineer, of Middletown; Mary C., at home; and Frederick, who died in 1895, aged twenty-three years.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Angel Gerow100ladyhawk@altavista.com.ISP for the Dauphin County,
Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 8 March 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction
for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly