MORROW, John C., of the firm of Rohrer & Morrow, proprietors of the Highspire Glue Works, was born in Mifflin county, Pa., October 3, 1837; son of James W. and Mary (Cox) Morrow, natives of Ireland. They were married in Mifflin county. The father was engaged in the butchering business at Hollidaysburg, Pa., where he died. The mother died in Harrisburg in 1892. John C. was reared in Blair county and educated in the public schools. He engaged in the butchering business with his father. In 1862 he came to Harrisburg and was employed by the Adams Express Company, for which he worked nine years. He was then foreman of the Pennsylvania freight house at Harrisburg for three years. For several years he acted for the Baltimore Fast Freight Line. In connection with George F. Rohrer he dealt in produce. Later they began the manufacture of glue at Harrisburg and in 1884 removed to Highspire, where they erected their present plant. Mr. Morrow was married, in 1866, to Miss Ella Hittle, of Juniata county, Pa., by whom he has four sons: Albert B., married Miss Minnie Smith, and has two children, Le Roy and Helen; Joseph W., married Minnie McKinley, daughter of Warren McKinley; George R., and John C., Jr. Mr. Morrow and his family attend the Presbyterian church. He ranks with the solid business men of the community; he has the qualities which compel success.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Phyllis Edwards,email@example.com, for the Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project – http://maley.net/transcriptions.
Date of Transcription: 10 Feb 2001
CopyrightÓ 2001 – All Rights Reserved; Use, duplication, or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.