Murray, John, son of William Murray, was born about 1731, in Scotland; died February 3, 1798, in Dauphin county, Pa. In 1766 he took up a tract of land called the "Indian Burying Ground," lying on the Susquehanna, immediately above his brother Jamesí farm, which adjoined the present town of Dauphin. He commanded a rifle company, which in March, 1776, was attached to Col. Samuel Milesí battalion, and participated in the battles of Long Island, White Plains, Trenton and Princeton. He was promoted to major April 18, 1777, and lieutenant colonel of the Second Pennsylvania regiment in 1780, serving until the disbanding of the army in 1783. He then returned to his family and farm. Governor Mifflin appointed him a justice of the peace August 29, 1791, the only political office he ever held. He was an ardent Whig of the Revolution, and a brave officer. Colonel Murray married, December 29, 1762, by Rev. John Elder, Margaret Mayes, born 1733, in the north of Ireland; died June 22, 1807, in Upper Paxtang township, Dauphin county, Pa.; buried by the side of her husband in the old cemetery near Dauphin borough; daughter of Andrew and Rebecca Mayes.
Transcribed by: Lynne Ranieri
From page 175