Back Up Next

NEELY, J. M., was born in Hunterstown, Adams county, Pa., March 14, 1846. He is a son of the late Samuel and Catherine (Elliott) Neely. Mr. Neely took only a partial course in the public schools of Adams county. He worked with his father on the farm until he was eighteen. In 1863 he enlisted for three years in the army, in company F, Fifteenth Pennsylvania calvary. He served his full time and was discharged in June, 1865; he then returned home and worked on his father's farm for six years, excepting one year spent farming on his own account.

He came to Harrisburg, in 1871, and opened a green grocery in connection with Mr. Longsdorf, under the firm name of Longsdorf & Neely. After a year Mr. Longsdorf withdrew and Mr. Neely carried on the business for a few months longer. Finally it was closed out, and Mr. Neely was a clerk in the grocery of John Kerper for one year. Resigning this position, he became a transfer driver, for Mr. Black, between Harrisburg and Steelton, for one year. In May, 1874, he was appointed superintendent of the Harrisburg Street Railway Company, which position, after serving eight years, he resigned to go into business for himself. In 1882 he established a local express and livery business which he still conducts. His residence is at No. 12 North Fifth street, and his place of business, No. 437 Strawberry avenue, where he has one of the most finely furnished livery establishments in Harrisburg.

Mr. Neely has been a member of Dauphin Lodge, No. 160, for twenty years. He is a member of Post 58, G. A. R. His political views are good, straight Republican.

Historical Review of Dauphin County

Transcribed by Gwen Bixler Drivon at for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -

Date of Transcription: 11 Feb. 2001

Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.