PARTHEMORE, E. Winfield Scott, was born in Highspire July 25, 1852. He was the fifth in descent from John Frederick Parthemore, who came to Pennsylvania from Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, landing in Philadelphia October 20, 1744. He settled in Derry township, then Lancaster, now Dauphin county, where he died in 1752. His wife was Anna Maria Weinmann, daughter of Phillip Weinmann, also from Sprendlingen, Gerany. They had a large family of children, the descendants of whom are scattered in many States of the Union. The parents of Mr. E. W. S. Parthemore were Daniel Parthemore and his wife, Nancy Ebersole. The latter was the grandaughter of Ludwig Bretz, who was a soldier of the Revolution. His father's grandfather also served in the struggle for independence. Through the Ebersoles and Bretzes Mr. Parthemore is connected with many of the representative families of Dauphin county. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at the age of sixteen years entered upon mercantile pursuits at Highspire and subsequently in Harrisburg. In the spring of 1873 he attended one session of the Millersville State Normal School, and in 1874 a select school at Middletown. During this period he also taught school, in the winter in Powell's Valley and Lower Swatara township, and afterwards the secondary school in Highspire. In the winter of 1875 he was employed in the frog and switch department of the Pennsylvania Steel Works as a machinist, which he followed until January of the year following. In July, 1878, Mr. Parthemore took up his residence in Harrisburg, where he now resides. Being a prominent Republican he has always taken an active part in the various local campaigns. He has represented his ward in select council for several years and is now a member of the board of school control. He is an active member in the United Brethren church and has represented that denomination as a lay delegate in their annual conference. He is one of the most active business men in Harrisburg, and is conspicuous in insurance and real estate circles. Mr. Parthemore is one of the directors of the Harrisburg Traction Company, the Manufacturing and Boiler Company and on the board of managers of the Harrisburg Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Company, and secretary of the Kelker Street Market Company. For a number of years he has been prominently identified with several building and loan associations. For a period of twelve years he has been an officer of the Dauphin County Historical Society and has taken much interest in historic research. He has prepared and published a genealogy of the Parthemore family (1885), the Bretz family (1890), the records of the Rev. Mr. Illing (1891), "Records of Bindnagle Church" and "Hill Church in Derry Township," besides various valuable contributions to the history, biography and genealogy of Dauphin county. He was one of the founders of the Pennsylvania-German Society and is on the board of management of that organization. Through his great-grandparents he is a member of the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the Revolution. Mr. Parthemore was married June 20, 1878, by Bishop J. J. Glossbrenner to Clara Sarah Early, daughter of Daniel Seth Early and his wife Amanda A. Mark. They have seven children living.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Janice Frank email@example.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project -
Date of Transcription: 06 Jan 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited