PFUHL, REV. JOHN'GEORGE, pastor of St. Michael's German Lutheran church, of Harrisburg, Pa., was born in Treffurt, Province of Saxony, Kingdom of Prussia, March 30, 1838. He is a son of the late Christian Pfuhl and his wife Charlotte Von Keudel. The parents of pastor Pfuhl were both natives of Prussia. They were born in Treffurt, and lived there until 1866, when they removed to the Province of West Prussia, settling near the town of Culmsee, where the father died October 18, 1881, and the mother October 28, 1880. They had eight children, five of whom are living: Christiana, widow of the late Wilhelm Bodenstein; Dorothea, wife of Julius Fiedler; Caroline, wife of Hilmer Achilles; Augusta, widow of the late Theodore Rausch; and John George. The last-named and his nephew, Charles Bodenstein, of Philadelphia, are the only members of the family residing in America.
John George Pfuhl lived with his parents until he reached the age of fourteen, receiving his primary education in the common schools of his native town. He also had instruction in Latin, Greek and French under a private tutor. In 1852 he was sent to a neighboring village pastor, who fully instructed him in the classics. With this preparation, he was sent to the college at Muehlhausen, where he spent three years. He afterwards entered the college at Halle, and was graduated from this institution in 1859. In 1860 he left his native land for America. Soon after his arrival in this country, he entered the Theological Seminary of Gettysburg, where he studied for two years. In 1862 he was licensed to preach the gospel and administer the sacraments in the pastorate of Steubenville, Ohio. In May, 1864, he was ordained a minister of the German Lutheran Church, and installed as pastor at Steubenville by the Pittsburg [sic] Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. He was pastor of Zion Lutheran church in that city for fourteen years. In 1876 he was elected to the pastorate of St. Michael's Lutheran church in Harrisburg. For twenty years he has held this important pastorate, and has faithfully discharged its sacred and arduous duties.
His first wife was Miss Miranda, daughter of John and Regina (Bauer) Miller, of Bridgewater, Beaver county, Pa. Their marriage took place May 10, 1864. They had one son, Charles Augustus, now residing in Pittsburgh. Mrs. Pfuhl died at Steubenville, Ohio, January 22, 1866. In his second marriage, which occurred at Baden, Beaver county, September 22, 1868, he was united to Sophia Marchand, a daughter of Frederick and Caroline (Ehrman) Marchand, born in Offenbach, near Frankfort-on-the-Main. They have had seven children; four died in infancy, Otto, George, Johanna and Louisa. Their living children are Sophie Augusta, born August 8, 1875; Marie Dorothy, July 7, 1878; and Paul Wilhelm, July 27, 1882.
Pastor Pfuhl is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania, the oldest Lutheran Synod in the United States.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Becky Tuszynski firstname.lastname@example.org for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription.
Date of Transcription: 24 February 2001
Copyright (c) 2001 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.