PITCAIRN, HUGH, M.D., son of John and Agnes (McEwing) Pitcairn, was born in Johnston, Scotland, in August, 1845. While in his infancy his parents came to the United States and settled in Allegheny City, Pa. His early education was acquired in the common and high schools of that city. In 1859 he entered the office of the Pennsylvania railroad in Pittsburgh to learn telegraphy. In less than six months he was directed to take charge of the telegraph office situated at the end of the double track, Mill Creek, Huntingdon county, where he continued one year, when he was appointed operator in the general office at Altoona. In this place he fulfilled the duties of clerk and operator until 1865, when he was called to Harrisburg as assistant trainmaster, and two months later received the appointment of acting assistant superintendent and superintendent of the Susquehanna division, while the directors at their ensuing meeting confirmed him as assistant general superintendent, and in this capacity he served two years. He was offered the position of superintendent of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, with the office at Mauch Chunk, Carbon county, Pa., but later was sent by the president of the Pennsylvania railroad to Kentucky for the purpose of completing and taking charge of the Evansville, Henderson and Nashville road. After the completion of this road he was appointed general superintendent and assisted in the purchase of the Edgefield and Kentucky railroad, thus making a through line from Nashville, Tenn., to Evansville, Ind. He continued in charge of this road until its sale to the St. Louis and Southeastern railroad, when he accepted the position as superintendent of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis railroad (Pan-Handle route) at Pittsburgh, where he continued until the early part of 1875, when failing health compelled him to resign. He then went to Europe, attending clinical lectures in the hospitals of London, subsequently graduating from Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia. In 1880 he located at Harrisburg in the practice of his profession. Prior to leaving for Europe he associated with H.C. Dean, of Altoona, as proprietor and editor of the Daily and Weekly Tribune, one of the largest and best inland papers in the State, and has continued to hold the same until the present time, though taking very little part in its active management since he entered the practice of medicine.
Sidney, Indiana page 358 & 361