PUGH, A. JUDSON, senior member of the firm of A.J.Pugh & Son (The Dauphin Roofing Company), was born in Radnor township, Delaware county, Pa., February 27, 1847; son of the late William and Mary (Pugh) Pugh. The Pugh family on both sides were among the early settlers of Delaware county, their ancestors having been born there as far back as the fourth generation preceding the present. The parents were residents of Radnor township, and the father conducted a merchant tailoring business there. They had nine children, five of whom are living: Johanna H., widow of late J. Hibbert Hall, of Plymouth, Montgomery county; John, Nelson, Roland,Jr., and A.Judson. A.J. spent his early life in Radnor and received his education in the public schools of that township. In 1876 he removed to Harrisburg and for fifteen years was in the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, during ten years of which time he was engineer on a freight train. In 1881 he became bookkeeper for the Paxton Flouring Mill Company, which position he held for ten years, after which, from 1891 to 1894 he was in the employment of the Merchantsí National Bank, and in November of the last named year embarked in his present business. Mr. Pugh was married in Philadelphia, April 10, 1873, to Eloise G. Denny, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Denny, of Chester county, both deceased. To this marriage have been born four children: M. Elva. William E., Salinda and J. Darlington. In his politics Mr. Pugh is a Republican. He and his family attend the Baptist church.

 

Dorothy Bumbaugh

page 543