REED, George Engard, deceased, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., December 19, 1834. He was a son of Samuel and Sarah (Kehr) Reed, and grandson of Col. Philip Reed, of Pennsylvania Horse during the Revolutionary war. He was educated in Philadelphia and learned bricklaying. He worked on the erection of the "Jupiter" Lighthouse, in the Jupiter Inlet, Fla. While a journeyman he worked on the Pennsylvania railroad station in Harrisburg. In 1865 he located permanently in Harrisburg as a contractor. In 1866 he engaged in the retail tobacco business, on Market street, and continued it until his death, in 1893. In 1878 he and John K. May formed a partnership in the grocery business, under the firm name Reed & May. In 1888 the firm engaged in the manufacture of building brick, and did an extensive business.
Mr. Reed served four enlistments, covering nineteen years, in the National Guard of Pennsylvania. He was lieutenant of the "City Grays," and through his efforts the present building of that company was erected. He was a Republican. He served eleven years as a member of the common council, and for the same length of time was on the board of city control, and was president of that board for one term.
He married, in 1869, Margaret Barnett, daughter of Henry H. and Jane (Barnett) Lutz, of Harrisburg, by whom he had one child, Philip. Mr. Reed was charter member and trustee of the Industrial Home; he always took an active interest in all affairs of a public or charitable nature.
He enlisted, May 22, 1861, in Company E, Third New Jersey volunteers, and was assigned to the First brigade, Runyon's division, New Jersey volunteers. He took part in the battles of Bull Run, Kearney's Bridge and Cloud's Mills, and was also in the engagement at Springfield Station. He was discharged on surgeon's certificate, October 15, 1861; re-enlisted, December 14, 1861, in company A, Ninety-fifth Pennsylvania volunteers, and was assigned to Third brigade, First division, First army corps, Army of the Potomac, April 10, 1862; and to the Second brigade, First division, Sixth corps, on May 18. He took part in the battles of Fair Oaks, the Seven Days before Richmond, Gaines' Mills, Gadden Farm, Carter Farm, Saville Station, Glen Dale, Malvern Hill, Second Bull Run, Chantilly, Sugarloaf Mountain, Antietam, Shephardstown Ford, Hartwood Church, Fredericksburg, Franklin's Crossing, Bennett's Farm, Maryland Heights, Gordonville Road, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Parktown, Md., Hagerstown, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run and Locust Grove. He re-enlisted, December 22, 1863, in the same company, and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Alsop Farm, Laurel Hill, Spottsylvania, and Bloody Angle, where he was taken prisoner and confined in Andersonville, Ga., Cahawba, Ala., and Florence, S. C. He was one of the two hundred and fifty prisoners held under fire of the Union guns in Shelltown, Charleston, S. C., whose removal to safer quarters Admiral Dahlgren compelled by threatening to steam up to the town with rebel prisoners outside the turrets of his monitors. Mr. Reed was in charge of the Gangrene Hospital at Florence, S. C., and performed many surgical operations with a Barlow knife and scissors. Two well-attested cases of his skill were those of John W. January, of Company B, Fourteenth Illinois cavalry, and Calvin Bates, of the Eighth Maine volunteers. He was paroled at Florence, and mustered out May 27, 1865, and March 9, 1869, he enlisted in the First City Zouaves, of Harrisburg; was made sergeant in company A, First City Zouaves, December 11, 1870; first sergeant, December 11, 1871; second lieutenant company D, City Grays, National Guard of Pennsylvania, December 12, 1876. He retired from the service in 1888. He was a prominent member of Post 58, G. A. R.
Henry H. Lutz, deceased, father of Mrs. George E. Reed, was the son of Jacob Lutz, who emigrated from Germany, sent to America by the East India Company and located in Ohio. Henry H. was born in Steubenville, Ohio, and came to Harrisburg when a boy. He learned some house painting and in 1845 retired from business. He was for many years crier of the Dauphin County Court, and served as high constable of the borough of Harrisburg. He was a confidential friend of Judge Pearson.
Mr. Lutz married Jane, daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Finney) Barnett. He died in 1867, and his wife in 1848. They were members of the Baptist church, and took an active interest in church work, Mr. Lutz holding the office of deacon. He was trustee of the Church of God and helped to build their church edifice. Mr. and Mrs. Lutz had nine children: Sarah Jane; Catherine Ann, Mrs. William F. McClure, of Middletown; Mary Elizabeth, Mrs. William M. Harmon, of Louisville, Ky.; Margaret, Mrs. George E. Reed, of Harrisburg; Harriet N., Mrs. Samuel R. Patterson, of Neosha, Mo.; Lieut. Henry H., enlisted in company I, Seventh Pennsylvania cavalry, died in Nashville, Tenn., from the effects of wounds received by the falling of his horse in battle; Thomas Barnett, Martin and Helen Matilda.
Historical Review of Dauphin County
Transcribed by Gwen Bixler Drivon at GGDGEN@aol.com for The Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Transcription Project - http://maley.net/transcription
Date of Transcription: 18 Feb. 2001
Copyright (c) 2000 - All Rights Reserved: Use, duplication or reproduction for profit or presentation by any person or organization is strictly prohibited.